shrimp babys

magic

thats right, today when i got home i see hundreds of baby shrimp floating in the tank, so what do i do now? I got a lot of the out and put them in a 5 gal tank with the same tank water, but there so small what do i feed them? and will they make it? I'm so happy I hope they grow up!

saltymom

Man that is a bummer... Im sorry Magic..the ending to that story breaks my heart!
Wonder how shrimp babies can survive when they are born in the ocean then...

karajay

Originally posted by saltymom
Wonder how shrimp babies can survive when they are born in the ocean then...

Mother Nature knows all :yes:

dbgt

raising these shrimp can be done ,I have found out that kepping them in another tank that has live rock and sand can be diffucult.Because the small shrimp will fight with the little pod animals and die.A small tank with a sponge filter(that is not to powerful)will work.their food which I have seen them eat before is baby brine shrimp.The largest size I have gotten them to was 5 mm.Maybe a few small plants could be used as a nitrate filter. A standered flourescent light will work if close enough to the plants.I would go for it!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :D

dbgt

they survive in the ocean because millions or more are probably released and they stay in the upper part of the water away from a lot of predators

ekclark

When they're in the ocean there is less to bump into in the open water. A little bump into the glass is too much for them and can kill them.

csrobe02

My cleaner shrimp had babies about 3 weeks (or more) ago and there are still some survivors from that batch today. Some of them are even getting some red colorization in them. Im not really expecting them to live, but they have survived for about a month now! :joy:

ozadars

i dont have any experience w/ rearing shrimp babies but i heard if they are cleaner or pepermint you can feed them w/ baby brine shrimp.

dbgt

the other day I was going to get my shrimps eggs ,but I just couldn't catch the shrimp carrying eggs. for the baby shrimp tank.
:mad:
:mad:

jedininja

Not to steal your thread, but I was thinking of adding a few peppermint shrimp to my fuge for just that reason and feeding with photoplankton and then baby brine. The peppermints in my main tank has eggs almost everytime they molt, but they always get eaten quick! So I'm just wondering if i'll be able to keep them alive in my fuge.

dbgt

To get the eggs from the shrimp I remove it from the main tank into a bucket then, acclimate it to the smaller tank. put the shrimp in the little tank, turn the lights off for about an hour, and the shrimp should have released the baby shrimp.:yes: :yes: :yes:

dbgt

putting them in a refugium is impossible for them to live (unless it has nothing in it.maybe they have a chance). They will get attacked by pods and loose the fights.