Shrimps

fubr

Once the bank is open I will be getting some LR, 15#'s of it. Now I know all sorts of misillaneous creatures come on it but should I purchase shrimp also?
I plan on making the tank for mandarins once it matures more. Now what type of shrimps are good for a tank like mine. 30gal, 1.021, ammonia .25, nit and nates are at 0.
More lightning is being bought.....
-Josh

lionfish

A great cleaner shrimp for a salt water aquarium is the pink skunk cleaner. I have one in my reef and he picked the ich off my fish and he does a pretty good job of cleaning up old food. Mine will jump on my arm when I put my hand in the water and he picks at my arm for a while.
LionFish~

jtoliver

Go for a scarlet cleaner shrimp. By the way, if you want to keep a mandrine, you're going to need a lot more live rock if you want it to live.

Absolutly, you would need more live rock than that, to keep even one Manderian. I tried to keep one with 25-30# but it wasn't even close to enough. You need at least 50# for one, and that might not be enough if it only eats copeds.

jimi

I would skip the mandarin, they are beautiful but have a terrible survival record in captivity. Most experts recommend no less then 100lbs of live rock for 1 mandarin and at that the live rock must be allowed to mature to have enough copepods to sustain them.

jtirone

I have a 54 gallon, with about 55#'s of LR. My manderin has been alive for a couple months. If does not appear to be having any troubles (except for a bout of ick). My LR had alot of growth on it before adding the manderin.
Of course, the lfs told me how EASY they are. oh well....