shrinking of star polyps

kfish

Any idea what would make my star polyps shrink.I just got them on 3-20.I have had this happen before with brown polyps now they are gone . hope to save this.The light purple coating is turning brown 0 phosphate.15 nitrate .0 nitrite.0amm.8.2 ph A little low on cal 340.

S

scoobs

cal shouldnt make a huge diff on star polyps.. whats your lighting SG?
If you really want to save them and you think something might be wrong do a 10% water change every other day for a week "slowly" like drip it in not all at once.. you use a refractometer to check your SG? sometimes the others are way off and make what you think is a healthy tank a death trap :p

kfish

This is crazy I have 3 gs meters and all read different 1 says1.024 another is in between 1.026 and 1.027 the other is in between 1.026 and 1.025.I rinsed them of with hot water and tried again .The same

J

jesses89

what type of lighting do you have??? whats it called? how many watts -
green star polyps like real good flow....they enjoy being blasted by water flow...
what are your water parameters?? ammonia? nitrites? nitrates?
anything in your tank th at could be harrasing them???
if your salinity readings differ and are way different id suggest a refractometer.... very precise.

kfish

Originally Posted by KFish
This is crazy I have 3 gs meters and all read different 1 says1.024 another is in between 1.026 and 1.027 the other is in between 1.026 and 1.025.I rinsed them of with hot water and tried again .The same
Lighting 4 lamps in 2 dual daylight 6,700k/10,000k and dual actinic 420nm/460nm for a 40 gal.

J

jesses89

how bigs your sally? ive read on here that when they get bigger they arent reef safe anymore? idk...
are they getting enough flow?? maybe its the placement? try moving them somewhere new?
sorry about all the suggestions.. trying to come up with stuff to see whats wrong.

frankthetank

I want to add to this because I'm going through a similar problem.
I have some star polyps, though not sure exactly what kind. they aren't gsp, but kind of off white in color and a really brighten up under the actinics. I've had them under a dual satellite as well in a 46bow for the past 8 weeks. They are beautiful! However the past couple of days I've noticed only about half of them are out.
My SG is 1.025-026 (with a hydrometer too). My other readings:
Phos .2 (just can't seem to get off this number, even with phosguard)
Trate 2.5
Cal 450
Alk normal
I noticed one of my cucumbers looked skinny today as well, usually he's quite plump. All other fish and inverts seem great. And I have a xenia colony and leather finger that usually tell me if anything is wrong with the water, yet they have never looked better. My xenia seems to grow a stalk almost every week and my leather has outstanding color, very plump and lots of outstanding star detailed bumps all over him. He's very pretty!
I just can't find anything wrong with the parameters yet I'm having a similar problem with my star polyps.

kfish

I have a powersweep powerhead. I dont know the gph but i have the knob set in the middle so i guess it about a med. flow. also i have moved them around a couple of times . but y are they turning brown with a little red also ? i thought to close to the light.I had some kind of brown polyps before and they keep shringing until its just a plan live rock now. :notsure:

kfish

Originally Posted by KFish
I have a powersweep powerhead. I dont know the gph but i have the knob set in the middle so i guess it about a med. flow. also i have moved them around a couple of times . but y are they turning brown with a little red also ? i thought to close to the light.I had some kind of brown polyps before and they keep shringing until its just a plan live rock now. :notsure:
I just took a pick at them it seems they are sheding do they do this?

J

jesses89

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I want to add to this because I'm going through a similar problem.
I have some star polyps, though not sure exactly what kind. they aren't gsp, but kind of off white in color and a really brighten up under the actinics. I've had them under a dual satellite as well in a 46bow for the past 8 weeks. They are beautiful! However the past couple of days I've noticed only about half of them are out.
My SG is 1.025-026 (with a hydrometer too). My other readings:
Phos .2 (just can't seem to get off this number, even with phosguard)
Trate 2.5
Cal 450
Alk normal
I noticed one of my cucumbers looked skinny today as well, usually he's quite plump. All other fish and inverts seem great. And I have a xenia colony and leather finger that usually tell me if anything is wrong with the water, yet they have never looked better. My xenia seems to grow a stalk almost every week and my leather has outstanding color, very plump and lots of outstanding star detailed bumps all over him. He's very pretty!
I just can't find anything wrong with the parameters yet I'm having a similar problem with my star polyps.

do they have good flow frank??? sometimes they get covered with algae... and it wont let them out and they perish away....
either that or somethings eating them?

frankthetank

I have 15x flow in my tank. I am going to add another ph to take it up to 20x though. I didn't think about this, but they seem to be in a good flow area.