Shrinking ricordea.... help!

farnorth

I bought a rock with about 20 green ricordea on it from my LFS (only $40) about a week ago. They were big and open when at the LFS and for the first day or two. Now they are all looking shriveled and some are turning white and dying. All my other 20 + corals are looking better then ever. checked all my levels and my PH had dropped to 8.0. I raised it back up today.... any other thoughts? Anything special about ricordea I don't know?

farnorth

I put them on the bottom and close to the corner to acclimate them. I have 2 150 watt halides and two 76 watt compacts. Should I have by chance started them higher up with more light?

farnorth

They were just under some pc's. They are looking better today now that I got my PH back up. I will take some pics, I have been meaning to anyway and post them.

farnorth

I was wrong, they look smaller and worse then ever. Could it possibly be the light? I moved them under a small "cave" with some light so they are all the way on the very bottom and covered.

mushroomss

how long did you acclimate the mushrooms to you tank?
what are your parameters?
calcium:
alk:
ammonia:
PH:
nitrates:
nitrites:
these reading will help us better diagnose your problem

grumpygils

Originally Posted by mushroomss
how long did you acclimate the mushrooms to you tank?
calcium:
alk:
ammonia:
PH:
nitrates:
nitrites:
Bump

teen

imo, ricordias do better under pcs/ vhos/t-5s, rather than under MH. i would try putting them in a sorta shaded area, but where there still getting light.see if they do better there.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by teen
imo, ricordias do better under pcs/ vhos/t-5s, rather than under MH. i would try putting them in a sorta shaded area, but where there still getting light.see if they do better there.
HMMM, That might explain it... I have had mine for months...moved it all around,does not seem to be getting bigger. I do have MH lighting. I will try to shade it a little.

farnorth

Thanks for everyone's info! I was getting worried! Curious why Ricordea don't do well under MH, but can't argue with the ocean... gotta just "go with the flow!" :)
Here is the answers to the other questions.
how long did you acclimate the mushrooms to you tank? I acclimated them for 2 hours.
calcium: 420
alk:200 (looks a little lower then normal)
ammonia: Have not checked yet
PH: 8.26
nitrates:20 (higher then I thought)
nitrites:0

farnorth

Half of the rics have already died off now and the others look like they are on their way... any other suggestions? I think I am going to do a 20% water change to see if it helps.

laddy

Ricordeas normally do better under moderate light conditions, your MH's could be under a lot of lux.....did i miss what size your tank was? And more importantly, how far below the water are they?

farnorth

I have a 92 (deep) and they are on the bottom (have been since introduced) and now partly under a type of cave.

ibew

might be a good time for a water change not sure when the last time you did one. But yu stated that your ALK was alittle on the low side so your calcium might also be off to being they go hand in hand. Just something else to worry about sorry.