Shy Filly

mcbdz

I seem to have a very shy filly.
I have the 2 WC female H. erectus. The orange tipped one(mango) is a big flirt. She comes up to the front of the glass and if you put a finger up to her she acts like she wants you to scratch her behind the gills.
But my Purple one(Flicka) hinds behind whatever she is hitched to until you back off for awhile. She want even come out to eat until I back off. I do hang around and she will eventually come down and eat. I just wanted to get some ideas on how to get her to socialize more. She eats good and when she doesn't see anyone swims around some, but nothing like Mango does. Is this just going to be her personality or do you think she will become more sociable in time?

rykna

Originally Posted by mcbdz

I seem to have a very shy filly.
I have the 2 WC female H. erectus. The orange tipped one(mango) is a big flirt. She comes up to the front of the glass and if you put a finger up to her she acts like she wants you to scratch her behind the gills.
But my Purple one(Flicka) hinds behind whatever she is hitched to until you back off for awhile. She want even come out to eat until I back off. I do hang around and she will eventually come down and eat. I just wanted to get some ideas on how to get her to socialize more. She eats good and when she doesn't see anyone swims around some, but nothing like Mango does. Is this just going to be her personality or do you think she will become more sociable in time?

Hard to say...every fish has it's own personality...you could try Monalisa's food dish. My 2 new girls took to it in 3 minutes. I had them for only 3 days now, but when I came home from work today they were both sitting in their food dish, waiting for dinner.

mcbdz

I have 2 problems with the food dish idea right now. I'm trying to figure out. 1. My tank is a hex and too deep for me to reach the bottom easily .
2. they are still only eating live loaded ghost shrimp.
The food want cooperate.

I am offering frozen with each feedings but they haven't gone for it yet. Mango watches it some . They stock their prey for a little bit before they eat it. Tim on the other forum told me to let them go hungry for a day or two then try, but I want to wait awhile first due to they went a week without food before I got them. They aren't skinny, but just want to give them a while so they are use to eating and everything before they have anymore stress.

teresaq

a long clear plastic tub like they have for undergravel filters works well. just put one end in the feeding dish, and pour the mysis in the top. it will all settle down the tube and stay in the dish. plus the horses get t see that fods coming.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
a long clear plastic tub like they have for undergravel filters works well. just put one end in the feeding dish, and pour the mysis in the top. it will all settle down the tube and stay in the dish. plus the horses get t see that fods coming.

That sounds like a good idea. Expecially if the ghost shrimp will stay in the dish to eat the froze.