Sick Angel

gliderjohn

I already posted under odd behavior, but now that the angel is in QT we were able to get a closer look at him. His pec fins are ripped to shreds and I can't tell if that is ICH or not. We just started treating with an anti bacterial. Is there any hope for this guy. Can a fish recover from his fins being ripped? Could my peppermint shrimp have done it? He was also in the tank with a true perc and a royal dottyback.

jeanheckle

Gliderjohn is my husband, I didn't realize I was under his name when I posted. I also wanted to add, we had the same thing happen to a 6 line wrasse a couple of months ago, he didn't make it. But it was the exact same thing with the fins. They were both living in the same piece of live rock. I don't think we have a predator because our perc and dottyback are doing well. Please help!!!

florida joe

I am sure you will get responses from the resident experts on disease but IMO I don’t think its ick I would look at the Royal Dottyback which is not easily intimidated by other fish and will defend it's territory against fish many times it's size. Yes the fins can regenerate. You are doing the wise thing again IMO by treating with an antibiotic. Secondary bacteria infection is what you really need to deal with now.

gliderjohn

Thanks, Joe. We'll keep an eye on Dotty. We haven't seen her act aggressive towards the other fish. However, she did pick up one of the hermit crabs in her mouth today and spit him off her rock. He went flyin'...
The damage to the six-line wrasse was pre-Dotty days.

R

rcreations

As long as the aquarium water is good, it has a good diet, fish will regenerate fins fairly quickly, sometimes in a matter of weeks. Feed it a good diet of varied frozen foods (no pellets or flakes), make sure it's not harassed or stressed and it should make a full recovery.

gliderjohn

Thanks. That's great to know. We'll keep him in QT until he recovers. I'm just glad I had a QT running and ready to go!

sepulatian

It is important to figure out who the aggressor is and remove him or this will continue to happen. You mentioned that the sixline had this happen before you got the Dottyback. What other fish are in the tank?
What antibacterial medication are you using? Adding Zoecon or Selcon to the fish's diet will help him heal quicker.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2667602
It is important to figure out who the aggressor is and remove him or this will continue to happen. You mentioned that the sixline had this happen before you got the Dottyback. What other fish are in the tank?
What antibacterial medication are you using? Adding Zoecon or Selcon to the fish's diet will help him heal quicker.
We are using Macryn 2, he isn't eating yet. I add fresh garlic to everyone's food.
The only other fish we have is a true perc that we have never seen acting aggresive. Is it possible that a shrimp could do it? It only seems to happen to the fish that sleep in the LR which is where the shrimp live.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2667634
We are using Macryn 2, he isn't eating yet. I add fresh garlic to everyone's food.
The only other fish we have is a true perc that we have never seen acting aggresive. Is it possible that a shrimp could do it? It only seems to happen to the fish that sleep in the LR which is where the shrimp live.
Do you ever hear snapping or clicking noises? You may have a mantis.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its fish aggression, not mantis. Sometimes it is difficult to detect who the culprit is. My longest time spend trying to figure out who was an aggressor in my tank was about 3 days; I'd spent a few hours a day observing closely.
Clownfish are highly territorial, and can be very aggressive when something enters its perceived territory. The clown is the culprit. The orange-red color and even size of the flame likely ticked the clown off. It perceived the angel, looking like an intruding clown, as a threat.
TLC for the angel in QT until recovery. You'll need to decide which you want more, clown or flame.

gliderjohn

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2667926
TLC for the angel in QT until recovery. You'll need to decide which you want more, clown or flame.
Since the damage seems to be to the fin only, you recommend not using the Maracyn 2? (From the other thread).
He seems to be doing ok in QT(he just came up to my wife's hand in the tank), but he still is not eating. It's been about 48 hrs. We're offering him Mysis shrimp w/garlic.
As per Sep., I will pick up some Zoecon or Selcon to tomorrow for him. Is there anything else we do to encourage him to eat?

sepulatian

Is mysis what he was already eating? He will need a better diet but it is more important for him to at least eat something. If it has only been a day or two then just keep trying. He may need to relax after all that has happened.
I have had fish completely regrow their fins using just Zoecon on their food but they had no body damage. He looks to have several cuts/scratches above the fin. You may want to use the maracyn to kill of any bacterial infection.

bgbdwlf2500

if your qt is fairly small dosing the tank with Kent Marine C will help a lot as well. fins have come back quick when i used it trying to fight HLLE but it was in a 10 gallon tank so it worked well.

jeanheckle

Well unfortunately I went downstairs to check on our Flame Angel and he was dead. I can't believe he went so quickly. He was swimming around this morning fine. Thanks for all the help.

gliderjohn

Thank you all for all your help. Now that he's gone, what do I need to do to the QT (10 gal) to get it set back up and ready to go again? Water change? How much? Fallow time?

R

rcreations

Sorry for your loss. It is strange that it died from the fin damage. I had a clown that had completely shredded fins and it made a full recovery in a few weeks. Was your QT cycled? What were your water readings? (ammonia/nitrties/nintrates)

gliderjohn

The QT was fully cycled about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I tested 2 days ago. Ammonia-0; Nitrites-0; Nitrates about 15. I did a 5 gal. water change. PH 8.4; sg 1.023. Temp. 78.2.
Params in the DT very close to the same. I drip acclimated for about 40 minutes.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Gliderjohn
http:///forum/post/2668183
Thank you all for all your help. Now that he's gone, what do I need to do to the QT (10 gal) to get it set back up and ready to go again? Water change? How much? Fallow time?
Did you end up using the maracyn or not? The tank does not have to remain fallow but it would be a good idea o do a fifty percent water change. If you added the maracyn then just run some fresh carbon to remove it.
He likely suffered from shock. He had more than just fin damage from what I can see in the picture. I too have healed fish with fin damage, it was healed within a couple of weeks. I only used Zoecon. It was a pair of maroons and I had them in a 15 long QT. They were torn up when I bought them.