Sick Doggie

meowzer

I posted about my dog in a thread of mine yesterday...I will copy and paste it
Took her to the vet yesterday AND
Just got back....she had over 104 fever
they say intestinal infection...gave her a shot to bring the fever down. I have 2 meds...Baytril and cerenia (for nausia)
they said she should feel better tonight...she has not eaten in 2 days, BUT when we got home she got a drink YAY....The doc said if she shows no improvement by tomorrow, I will have to bring her back and she will have to stay in the hospital and have an I.V. YIKES....SO PRAY she gets better...I have to give her pills tonight too
I had to forse the pills down her throat last night....BUT she got them and kept them in
TODAY, she is not better.....The only water she has had is what I have fed to her with a plastic syringe :(
My husband is home, and he is getting her ready to bring back to the vet...I am at work..BUT I AM LEAVING to meet them there....I must be with my baby :(
I will update this when I get back.....I am afraid they will kep her...she will need and I.V.
She is very weak, and her eyes are glazed.....No throwing up....No nothing.....
Pray for my baby....I am very worried about her

S

smartorl

Poor baby. The iv fluids will really help her. So sorry she is so sick. I hope she gets better soon.

flower

Lots of hope and prayer for your Furr Baby...I found a poem...There really is nothing like the love we get from our dogs.
True Love: The Love of a Dog
Gorgeously delightful
eyes of chocolate brown
Love so sweet and tender
whenever you're around ~
Head that rests so softly
upon the lap within
A faithful loyal friend
where love truly begins.
Gentleness that whispers
speaks volumes to the heart
Eyes convey a message
they're everywhere you are ~
Powerful yet loving
they speak a thousand words,
And still they melt your heart within
for they truly are your world!
A love forever faithful
how can one be without
Such loyal devotion
and the nudging from that snout?
For a house is not a home unless
one pauses to see
Through the eyes of he who lives
with love unconditionally.

meowzer

It's bad......First the Dr. came in and told me they were gonna draw blood...the yellowing probably means liver failure. so I am holding the dog and burst into tears
So about 20 minutes later the dr..comes back with blood work results....and she says....OK we need to go over our options....SO I AM LIKE WHAT?????
She says the dog has IMMUNE MEDIATED HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA
....Apparently something is attacking its red blood cells....APPARENTLY one more day and Pixie would have died :(
there is a 50/50 chance of survival.....They need to hook her up to an I.V. Immediately and keep her stress free....they need to give her a HIGH dosage of steroids...and she may be hospitalized 7-14 days....I just read some about it online, and it says dogs that already show sign of the jaundice (which Pixie does) the prognosis is usually worse :(
They will have to do blood tests often, and she may even require a blood transfusion...BUT that is only if there is almost no chance left.....
The dr starts going over prices.....and I SAID...WAIT.....Can you help her? Dr says....maybe.....SO I SAID....then just do it....IDC about the cost......SOOOOO wehad to leave $150 hospital deposit, and if they have to do all the dr says it will probably cost another $600 or so.....PLUS...the dr said if (I SAY WHEN) she recovers, she will be on meds for a long time afterwards.
OH... I also asked if I could visit.....they basically told me NO....REASON being....the dog HAS to remain stress free, and if she sees me she may get excited and think she is going home. They know I will call 2-3x a day...and THEY have strict instructions IF ANYTHING...to call me so I could be with her..
Please pray for my doggie....I am back at work now....BUT in a daze......I can't believe this is happening
EDIT...Teresa she is only 3 1/2

monsinour

Having the IV is a huge bonus for your dog. And yes, as hard as it is to do, you have to stay away so that she can rest. Even your scent in the hospital would be enough to get her tail wagging. I know it is hard, having been though tough times like this with 2 dogs and a cat recently, and the only thing you can do is take your mind off of it. Do what everyone else in this country is doing today, watch the March Madness unfold. Have faith in your vet, I am sure she is doing all she can. Hopefully you caught this in time and with the proper meds, your pooch will pull through. Ped meds can get you the medication cheaply. Most pet medications are lower dosage human meds that, depending on your vet, charge less for.

darthtang aw

It should be ok. Hang in there. Sure your vet mentioned this...but just in case forms of anemia in dogs are usually a sign of another disease or problem. Anema is a symptom.

meowzer

Thanks guys.....I have read article after article....and I need to STOP....you know how it is when you read and only see the negative stuff :(
DARTH....NO the vet did not tell me that...I was under the impression that the Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia WAS the disease

I will be calling them at 4 (central) to check on her. I know it will be too soon for any results, BUT this vet knows me, and they said it was okay to call.....Plus I was crying :(
I will be "patient" and not overdo it though......as my hand is on the phone