Sick Doggie

meowzer

Well, I AM BACK!!!!! She was excited to see me.....or as excited as she can be.....if she were not so weak, I think she would have jumped out....LOL...She tried to get up on all 4's, BUT I stopped her, so she sat up though...SHE LOVED THE CHICKEN.....ate a whole snack baggie.....the dr was happy too...NOT as happy as me though :) I had brought 2 baggies, so I put the otehr one in her food bowl......she licked me too YAYYYY....she had not the other day :( I feel that she knew she wasn't coming home today.....I could just tell....after spending some time with her she started to get tired, and laid her head down.....so I talked to her a little...petted her some more, and then (sad) left her.....
I will call tomorrow morning about the blood work results.....I pray they are better......I did not ask them, BUT I think I will go back after work tomorrow and bring her more chicken.....I will discuss it with them in the morning....BUT it has to help....right.... As the dr's and their assts were walking around...Pixie followed them with her eyes...she was not looking at them with happiness in them either

I feel better that I have seen her....and I think she did too seeing me

cranberry

YAY! That's good news! Sometimes you have to combine their professional recommendations with your gut instinct.

meowzer

Well I could tell she was not ready to come home yet....I was so happy to see her......hopefully this is the turn aroound and she will start recovering more.....

al&burke

I am glad you saw her meowzer, she was more than happy to see you too. I wonder what they think when we go away.

S

smartorl

That is awesome news! I'm hoping that was the jumpstart she needed! I would go see her, although if you are like me, you will probably cry like a fool every time you leave here.
Little girl was happy to see her mom, I am so happy for you and she ate! Wow!

meowzer

Believe it or not.....I was actually in better spirits after seeing her.....i was so scared of how she would be....and being that she ate for me, and was somewhat alert gave me hope
i was beginning to think bad things :(
NOW tomorrow we will get the blood results.....they better be good

al mc

Dexamethasone and tetracycline combo is appropriate. It will be a few days before the jaundice subsides but normal temp./positive attitude (trying to bite veterinary staff is a good sign...isn't that what we all would do if strangers are sticking needles into us when we don't understand that they are trying to help us). Nothing you have noted is negative.
Keeping my fingers crossed for her safe return.
If the blood work comes back showing improvement and she is placed on oral meds and continues to be 'fiesty'...they may want to send her home........ if you suggest it......

meowzer

Thanks AL......I would love to take her home.....I know I could care for her......I am very diligent and follow directions well
.....Since I don't wofk Fri/sat/sun Maybe they will let me take her Thursday.....I will ask
the only drawback would be the PUG!!! LOL....calm is not in Rosie's vocabulary......If I needed to keep Pixie calm and relaxed, I would have to seperate them

sueandherzoo

I feel so bad for suggesting you take her out for a walk while visiting ..... I didn't realize she was too weak to get around easily - I'm sorry. :(
I know what you mean about feeling better (although sad). When I used to go visit and feed my pug twice a day I used to cry on the way home looking at the empty seat beside me but it would be so much worse NOT seeing him. I'M guessing she is going to be a lot better tomorrow and you two are going to have a wonderful visit when you get there. :)
Sue

meowzer

OH SUE....please do not feel bad.....I am thankful that you are here with prayers and well wishes.....I was hoping she would be able to get up too
YES, it was hard to close that gate on the crate and walk away ...BUT I was also relieved that she ate and licked me :)

btldreef

I'm so glad that you got to see her today and it went well.
I still have you and Pixie in my thoughts. She's adorable!
If they do allow you to take her home this weekend, Rosie might understand what's going on and not be so crazy, but you never know with Pugs, LOL
I hope tomorrow brings good things!

monsinour

Sounds like all is going according to plan. As Al said, the fiestiness is a good sign. Eating is a better sign. I would go back tomorrow with more chicken as you have planned. Is she still on an IV? I would suggest your idea about taking her thursday for the weekend. Tell the vet that if needed, subcue fluids would be ok for you to administer. (its really easy if you have no fear of needles. We had to do this for our cat Spook many many years ago when he was battling fatty liver disease.) On sunday night, you might need to consult with the vet about returning her on monday if she does not improve over the weekend. I doubt that would happen anyways. She is a young pup and has plenty more years left in her.
As far as the pug goes, those things have too much energy and I have yet found a way to sap it from our pug. I took her to the dog park and had her chase a tennis ball across 3 tennis courts for about 30 minutes. She was dead tired in the van and by the time we got her home from the park, she started chasing the other dogs around the house. I wish I could bottle her energy sometimes.

meowzer

Monsi....they never put her on an I.V.....something about not wanting to dilute her blood

I will be calling shortly to get the blood results
I can give shots (if I have to) LOL....when I lived in NY I had bred my Pug 2x and gave my own vaccinations....we all know how EXPENSIVE those things are in NY...LOL....
PUGS...They are a mess....anyone who has ever owned one can tell you that, I have always had a Pug..ever since I was little. BTW you can buy them here in OK for $250-$400 depending on who and where you get them from.....20 years ago I sold mine in NY for $1000 each

cranberry

What exactly are they doing for her that you couldn't do at home with maybe daily outpatient visits? Didn't you say she wasn't even under 24/7 watch? Or did I read that wrong?
May I ask where they are performing the nasty procedures like blood drawing? In her cage? In another room?

meowzer

she's worse...........She would not eat the chicken I left her....SO I told them I am coming back after work and I am going to hand feed her again....they are in agreement with that (Not like I gave them a choice)
Her HCT is down to 12.6 (started at 17, went to 16)
...BUT the WBC is also down (dr says this is good) to 31 (started at 23, then 54)
Got an update on the meds....she is getting 2 antibiotics Baytril and Tikercyclin....and of course the steroid dexamethasone
they are giving the meds by injection. The DR says she is not showing any discomfort, so for now they will just continue what they are doing

AND NO...I can not take her home yet

monsinour

If she is not on an IV, then there is no reason as to why she cant come home with you. Honestly, if the dog isnt on an IV, then there is really no reason for her to stay there. There really isnt anything they are doing that you cant do at home.
We got our pug from a rescue in conn for $150. Its amazing that people go to pet stores, spend gobs of money on a dog just to turn it in at a shelter. As of now, every animal we have in our house except for the fish, has come from shelters or found on the streets. The only future addition that might come from a breeder is a Cavalier. Wife really wants one and they dont stick around long enough at shelters or rescues.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384593/sick-doggie/100#post_3371118
If she is not on an IV, then there is no reason as to why she cant come home with you. Honestly, if the dog isnt on an IV, then there is really no reason for her to stay there. There really isnt anything they are doing that you cant do at home.
Because moewzer can monitor all the blood details and run all the tests periodically herself. Just because the dog is not hooked up to IV does not mean they do not need to be monitored by a vet.
Darth (HCT tests by Osmosis) Tang

meowzer

Well I am going there at 4 again with more food.....IDK what to ask...or say yet...BUT I want them to do something....Originally the dr told us if blood went down to 12 they would have to do the transfusion.....SO WHY...are they willing to do nothing now?????
I am waiting for suggestions from AL, or anyone else on what to ask them or SUGGEST for them to do.....I am devastated at this news :( I really thought it would be good news today