sick fish, any help would be greatly appreciated

whites60

Hello, This is my first time posting and unfortuanly I am seeking help. Let me begin by saying I have only been in the hobby 2 yrs and I feel I am still just getting my feet wet, pardon the pun, ( I am probably the 10th person to say that). anyway, I started with a 36 g reef and was having pretty good luck so I went up to a 90 g reef tank. all my coral is doing great and so were my fish up until 1 week ago. first I lost a pink square anth. then I lost my powder brown tang. They seem to have this spotty white discoloring to thier fins, its not ick. also today it looks like I might lose my yellow tang. he has something different. he has this huge red spot on him and then on top he has a rainbow of red spots, like blood. he also has a puffy eye I think I might of had it overloaded, but either way something is wronng. If this continues I am goiong to lose all my fish.EVen if I do a water change wont the sick ones still carry the virus or whatever they have? should i still do that? I am running a cycle of carbon now. Nitrates could be a little lower, thats at 10, eevrything else is where it should be. My skimmer and reactor are working fine. I am sure I am leaving out boo coos of info but please email and I canb tell you whateever you need to know. thank you much..........George

fatpuffer

Make sure it's not your water quality, Nitrate, Nitrite, ammonia, pH. Do a huge water change, 50%. Get any infected fish out of the tank and into a HT and start them on either neomycin or nitrofurazone(the latter is easier to find)-sounds like a bacterial infection. While in QT, make sure you increase the nutrients you feed, i.e. selecon, zoe, zoecon. Good luck! I'm going through something similar and this is all you can do.
I forgot to mention, lower the salinity in the QT to 1.015 or even hyposalinate to further prevent possible parasitic infections..you can do this immediately or wait. I would wait, but if they're really bad, you may want to consider this.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Post up your water readings. How are your corals doing? Have you introduced a new fish recently?

whites60

My corals are doing great, IS it ok if I do a 30% water change today and one tomorrow, or beter to do one big one, i just dont have anythign to mix al that in. my nitrates are at 20 (too high I know) alkalinty is at 2.8, ph 7.8 I started adding lugols iodine, i used as suggested and when I tested lastnight it was extremly high so I am going to back off of that. how can I send youll a pic