Sick Hippo

volitan

I bought a Hippo Tang a week ago today. He was very active and ate like a horse. Looking very good until today. He has slightly paled in color and his eyes are completely glazed over. I minced some fresh garlic and mixed it with some mysis shrimp (whic he has been eating daily). The problem is I dropped it in the water, and he swam around like crazy, but is too blind to see the food. I can't see any signs of ich on his body. Does anyone have any advise for me? :(

keitho

kind of sounds like a bacterial infection. if he can't see, maybe it would be easier to catch him and put him in a quarantine tank. that way, you could treat him with some broad spectrum antibiotics. i'm really doubtful that the garlic will help his condition as my experience has been that the garlic helps parasitic infections, but has little effect on viral, bacterial, or fungal infections. quarantine him if you can and use some antibiotics....

volitan

Thanks Keitho. I'd like to leave him in the reef tank for awhile to see if he can pull through on his own. Is this a bad idea?

galina

Yeah... that would probably be a bad idea. First of all, what he has could be contagious.. I sort of doubt that, but he would be better off treated with the necessary meds that you should do in a QT tank. Better safe then sorry.
You don't want to put many meds in a reef tank, if you have one. I would go for the QT tank.
It also might be wise to QT your fish before putting them in the main tank as well.. I've learned this the hard way. :mad:
Galina
Goodluck :)