Sick Maroon Clown, weird behavior

xan

Hey all, this was forwarded to me by a friend and he wanted me to post it here so any help would be great!

[hr]
Hello, I have two maroon clowns, one is yellow striped the other is just a regular white striped. I have them both in a ten gallon tank with about 8 lbs of live rock and live sand, alone with a few various inverts. The salinity of my tank is about 1.022 and the water is changed regularly. The two clowns have been getting alone quite well, they follow each other everywhere. They also are hosting a clay pot which I placed in the aquarium.
The problem is that while the other clown appears to be fine, the yellow striped maroon seems to be disoriented. When and if it tries to swim, it speeds around in circles all over the tank. Most of the time however it lies on the bottom either upside-down or on its side not doing anything. It doesn't seem to be gasping for air and I can't see any visible injuries on it. Also I have noticed that both its eyes are severely bulged. Is there anything I can do? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That soulds like a problem that could be a bacterial infection. However, I am concerned about the clay pot in the tank. I recommend taking that out. It may have been made with some metal, other other harmful products. Do a water change after taking the pot out.
What are the water conditions of the tank? Is there LR? How is the tank set up.
It may be that this fish needs to be treated with antibiotics. Does your friend have a Qurantine Tank?