Sick of this GHA!

raptor72

Recently I had been getting the upper hand on a GHA problem in my 125. I was getting rid of the excess water that was used to thaw out frozen food. I was doing more frequent WC's, and installed a reactor with biopellets. I was even using some drops to get rid of phosphates (can't remember the name right now). I've changed filter socks regularly and have been using RO/DI water. Unfortunately, its starting to pick back up and taking over. Don't know what else to do. :banghead:

raptor72

I'm thinking about building a algae scrubber in my sump/fuge. Hopefully this will outcompete the GHA for nutrients. Where can I find the simplest build?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/393042/sick-of-this-gha#post_3493748
I'm thinking about building a algae scrubber in my sump/fuge. Hopefully this will outcompete the GHA for nutrients. Where can I find the simplest build?
PM Snakeblitz33....I HATE GHA!....That's the worst stuff ever to try and get rid of.

raptor72

I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking of switching out my biopellets for GFO. I'd like to try this before the algae scrubber as it seems like a little less maintenance. Any brands that work better than others?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor72 http:///t/393042/sick-of-this-gha#post_3493922
I've been doing some reading and I'm thinking of switching out my biopellets for GFO. I'd like to try this before the algae scrubber as it seems like a little less maintenance. Any brands that work better than others?
Hi,
I have the one from Bulk reef supply, but it's the duel one, I like it.

btldreef

GFO is GFO, one brand isn't better than the next. Although for me, I've found the Phosban GFO (Two Little Fishies) works best in the reactor made by Two Little Fishies.
Have you tried turning off you lights. If you have corals, you can safely turn off your lights for 3 days without ill effects to the corals. I have done this and it's helped greatly. Recently, we tried dosing Hydrogen Peroxide in one of our tanks because the GHA was so bad. It was a little tank and we thought "let's test this out since nothing else is working, and let's do it on a small tank before we attempt putting it in our main display." Well, it worked wonders. Zoas and mushrooms were angry for a day, but then after a water change, everything is much better and most of the GHA dissolved and we have it under control now.