Sick power brown

Pod_hallmandad

New Member
pic
20200625_101751.jpg
20200625_101702.jpg20200625_101751.jpg

hi everyone my first post, hoping to save my fish. This came on fast, looked to be a healthy fish, eating everything, swimming stright and racing around. 75 gal tank, water tests good, temp alittle high 81 im in Az. Nothing but rock and stoney coral, some macro algie stupid me intorduced a bluefin angel looked healthy but had ich so copper treatment and woke to the tang all dark and swimming on the side.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly both fish have ich. I assume you didn’t quarantine. You need to treat all the fish in your 75 not just the visibly sick ones. It is safer. I’d recommend hypo salinity over copper. Copper is a poison. you need to bring the salinity of a hospital tank down to 1.09 over a couple days. It is important that the salinity does not go above that. It can be a little lower but not higher. All your fish need to be treated in the hospital tank for 30 days. If salinity goes above 1.09 the clock starts over. it is best to use a refractometer and calibrate every time you use it. Keep up on your top offs with fresh (RODI) warer, doing them a couple times a day. Evaporation can raise salinity too much. when you raise the salinity after 30 days of no visible ich do it very slowly over a couple weeks. I do it by topping off with salt water.
While the fish are in the hospital tank, the display tank needs to remain fish less for 72 days. This will allow the parasite to die off. after that you can return the fish to the display.

while the fish are being treated I’d research quarantine tanks and appropriate stocking. That powder brown is not appropriate for A 75 gallon tank.
 

Pod_hallmandad

New Member
Clearly both fish have ich. I assume you didn’t quarantine. You need to treat all the fish in your 75 not just the visibly sick ones. It is safer. I’d recommend hypo salinity over copper. Copper is a poison. you need to bring the salinity of a hospital tank down to 1.09 over a couple days. It is important that the salinity does not go above that. It can be a little lower but not higher. All your fish need to be treated in the hospital tank for 30 days. If salinity goes above 1.09 the clock starts over. it is best to use a refractometer and calibrate every time you use it. Keep up on your top offs with fresh (RODI) warer, doing them a couple times a day. Evaporation can raise salinity too much. when you raise the salinity after 30 days of no visible ich do it very slowly over a couple weeks. I do it by topping off with salt water.
While the fish are in the hospital tank, the display tank needs to remain fish less for 72 days. This will allow the parasite to die off. after that you can return the fish to the display.

while the fish are being treated I’d research quarantine tanks and appropriate stocking. That powder brown is not appropriate for A 75 gallon tank.
Clearly both fish have ich. I assume you didn’t quarantine. You need to treat all the fish in your 75 not just the visibly sick ones. It is safer. I’d recommend hypo salinity over copper. Copper is a poison. you need to bring the salinity of a hospital tank down to 1.09 over a couple days. It is important that the salinity does not go above that. It can be a little lower but not higher. All your fish need to be treated in the hospital tank for 30 days. If salinity goes above 1.09 the clock starts over. it is best to use a refractometer and calibrate every time you use it. Keep up on your top offs with fresh (RODI) warer, doing them a couple times a day. Evaporation can raise salinity too much. when you raise the salinity after 30 days of no visible ich do it very slowly over a couple weeks. I do it by topping off with salt water.
While the fish are in the hospital tank, the display tank needs to remain fish less for 72 days. This will allow the parasite to die off. after that you can return the fish to the display.

while the fish are being treated I’d research quarantine tanks and appropriate stocking. That powder brown is not appropriate for A 75 gallon tank.
Thanks for the reply, bower brown died, took 2 days and was upside down on the bottom . I pulled every thing out of the 75 gal. This is now a hospital 75gal.
 

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with that is you have now contaminated your 75 with copper. Copper treatment needs to be done in a bare bottom dedicated hospital/quarantine tank. Because you’ve used copper in it you can’t do inverts or coral.
 
Top