Sick spotted puffer, please help

torno

I bought a blue-spotted toby puffer from my lfs on friday night, and i don't think he's doing too well.
He started eating frozen mysis on saturday night and sunday night too, but i've noticed he's been spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gasping, even just sitting on top of the powerhead.
he didn't eat tonight, and i had to free him from the bottom of the powerhead, where he was briefly stuck.
his teeth look overgrown, and he won't leave the top of the tank where he appears to be breathing heavy.
his eyes are also a little clouded.
ammonia 0
nitrate 30ish
nitrite 0
salinity 1.022
ph was 7.9 before he was added, i've done two doses of buffer before adding him so it should be okay now.
any ideas?
please help

lion_crazz

Well the nitrates and pH being where they are certainly do not help.
Have you tested the kH of the water? Maybe the pH was low because of a lack of flow or low kH?

torno

ahh well, he didn't make it.

no, i've never tested for kH before, I don't even know what that is.
Thanks

kanicky

I'm so sorry to hear about your Puffer :(
I adore the two I have and I don't know what I'd do if they died.
I think it'd be a good idea for you to read some more on what to test for, because once you become accustomed to testing for the regular things such as pH, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites, there's several other things you should test for that will vastly improve the quality of the environment you provide for your fish/inverts...
Good luck!