Signs that xenia is dieing..

wocka

i just want to know some signs when xenia is dieing. ive had mine for 2 days and the hands are really thin. i havent seen any xenia that looked like it. i dont recall them being like that at my LFS. are they dieng? i got 65w pc lights over a 20g and there at the top

F

fishlovr

I have both red sea zenia and anthelia. When I frag it it goes somewhat limp and looks like the stalks are thinner. After a day or two it perks up and looks good. It may just be trying to adjust to your water params:)
fishlovr

wocka

alright. so when should i know it is dieing? when its like melting?the hands on the polyp head are the size of this || maybe a little smaller

F

fishlovr

I've never had any die/melt so don't know what that looks like. I have had zenia where the hands look what I call "burned".....not plump and feathery. Mine didn't like my 29 gallon tank for some reason so I moved it to my 75 gallon and it does well. I always attributed it to my alk/cal not being quite right in my 29. What is your dkh/cal and ph level running? Mine is 420 cal, 10.6 dkh, and 8.0 o 8.2 Ph........Sorry I can't be more helpful......I've heard zenia either does quite well or crashes.....on a tank by tank basis.
If it doesn't do well, get some anthelia.......hardier in my opinion and is quite pretty......
fishy1

wocka

i only have ph and ammonia test. i can run to my LFS fast and get it all tested then they can put it on a sheet.

escape2thewater

When I first put zenia in my tank, the whole colony literally melted within a few days. However, after a couple weeks passed it started to grow back & eventually grew back to 5 times its original size. Its hard to predict what zenia will do. Just my experience. Good luck with yours.
KYle
:happyfish

reefen

I had a sea apple kill mine xenia and his hands got a tipped with a white coating lost his feathery look and just shriveled away. However, he lived the longest from the disaster.

wocka

i dont think i have a sea apple? mine are starting to pulse really slowly and weakly.. and there are no feathers

jtutton

I have a friend at work that has xenia up the wazoo, so she's given them to me a couple times. The first time in my 15 gal. at work, they never pulsed like they did for her and after a couple weeks just melted away. When their heads start to look like little fists and they become more grey than pink, you're in trouble.
I also took some home to my 29 gal. and they were in the bag with no A/C for too long. They tried to survive, but the high temps must have killed them off. They, too started to wilt and turn grey. Their little heads stopped pulsing.
Just keep an eye on them, several LFS have told me that sometimes you have to start them 2 or 3 times before they take off in your tank. They aren't photosynthetic, so lighting shouldn't be an issue, but they do need reef addititves, I think.
Good luck, I'll let you know if my next xenia experiment is successful.