Silicone Seam Removal

lefty

Hello everyone,
For those of you who have been following my other thread (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/224218/buying-an-acrylic-tank), I just bought the only 20g long tank from the local fish store. It's made by All-Glass so I assume the quality of it's pretty decent. I've noticed though that the silicone seams on the inside of the tank extend out way further than they need to and it doesn't look very pretty. Do you think I could go in with a razor blade and remove some of the excess, or would that somehow endanger the seams and cause a leak?
Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

The bubbles aren't in the silicone--the tank is currently filled with a very mild bleach and water solution to sterilize it from whatever the pet store subjected it to. (=
Thanks in advance! :happyfish
-lefty

squidd

I'm surprised...AGA usually isn't that sloppy...
Is it a pet store repair added in...??
The real strength of the silicone is in the thin layer between glass edge and adjoining pane...the fillet is secondary to strength or seal...
You could shave the "excess" back to within 3/16" of the corner and be fine...

lefty

I was surprised as well. I'd heard nothing but good things about that brand but didn't question it.
No, I'm sure the pet store didn't do anything to it. They seem to be an honest business and the tank was still in its original packaging.
I assume by 'fillet' you mean the part that I call excess =). But I might be wrong there since I'm not familiar with the terminology of tank assembly. I take it I'll just be trimming the fillet down a little.
I'll be taking care of that soon then. Thanks for your help! :joy:
-lefty