siliconing baffles in sump

B

bglegs

Anyone have a good way to silicone baffles in sump.There isn't much room to between the bubble trap baffles to get the silicone in on the inside of the baffles....thanks in advance.

posiden

Yea it is a tricky deal. I would start on one side and work your way through the baffels. By cutting them a bit short, it will allow you to mark where they go, run a bead on the tank and gently push the baffle in where it needs to go. A diagonal run at it makes it a bit eaiser. You can then attach a straw to the end of the silicone and get it down in there to run a bead. Then using a dowle or an acrylic rod you can smooth it out.
I hope that made sense.
Good luck, and post up some pics when you get it done.

ifirefight

I recommend using an acrylic aquarium if possible, and then you can use weld on to make a very nice seamless dividers in your sump. I know lots of people use glass,but IMO it is very messy and you could have problems down the road with the baffles coming undone. I bought a brand new 45 long for mine for 130$. Cut some acrylic on my table saw,glued it up,and I was finished, very clean and proffesional looking.

posiden

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/3164816
I recommend using an acrylic aquarium if possible, and then you can use weld on to make a very nice seamless dividers in your sump. I know lots of people use glass,but IMO it is very messy and you could have problems down the road with the baffles coming undone. I bought a brand new 45 long for mine for 130$. Cut some acrylic on my table saw,glued it up,and I was finished, very clean and proffesional looking.

While I am no expert in acrylic, how did you get the acrylic glued in place? Every thing I have seen in the way of acrylic fab, uses the pins and needle method. How did you manage to get the baffle in nice and tight?
It just seems to me, there is a big difference in applying glue to an open space and setting the piece onto the other vrs. applying glue to two sides and sliding it into place. It would seem that the glue would be lacking on the one side.

dan81

I started a post yesterday about my skimmer overflowing. I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't the skimmer but the construction of my refugium thats the problem. I went out and bought a 20 gal tank and I'm going to build my own refugium. Where can I get some sheets of acrylic to use as baffles? Home depot? I'm thinking silicone should do the trick. What should I use to seal them in place?

jackri

Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/post/3164825
While I am no expert in acrylic, how did you get the acrylic glued in place? Every thing I have seen in the way of acrylic fab, uses the pins and needle method. How did you manage to get the baffle in nice and tight?
It just seems to me, there is a big difference in applying glue to an open space and setting the piece onto the other vrs. applying glue to two sides and sliding it into place. It would seem that the glue would be lacking on the one side.

It's not really that bad to do with the squeeze bottle needle method. By running the needle along the seam the watery liquid runs into the seam. Once the seam is full of liquid I apply pressure to that one part at a time. I built a 77g frag tank 12" high and a 36 gallon sump out of acrylic. It's really not that hard to work with and I probably have some details in this thread if I remember correct.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/350650/frag-tank-stand-build

joncat24

Originally Posted by Posiden
http:///forum/post/3164825

very simple....Cut the baffle so it is snug, slide it into place. I use bar clamps to put slight pressure on the sides. Squeeze them together a little and apply weldon 4 with a syringe. I just did one a few minutes ago....works great.

jimmy40741

You don't need silicone on the inside of all the baffles. Start with the baffle that is going to be up off of the bottom. Use a piece of wood or something else to hold it up off of the bottom the height you want, then silicone both ends on both sides. When it's dry remove the wood peice and place the other baffle (or two) whatever distance you want it from the other and silcone it on the outside. Since the one sitting off of the bottom needs more support you should silicone both sides, but the one/s sitting on the bottom don't need as much and will hold in place just fine with silicone on just one side.
I've done two sumps both this same way and never had a problem with either of them.