Silly Question - Boxing Crabs

gmusick

If you have ever seen a boxing/pom-pom crab, it usually carries two small anemones in it's front claws to use as weapons/catcher of food. When I bought my boxing crab, it was missing 2 legs and one of it's front claws, so it was only carrying 1 anemone. It has since grown back all of it's legs and it's claw, but somehow, lost it's other front claw, and it's anemone, so it is currently carrying no anemones. Does anyone have any ideas about how/where I can go to get two little anemones for it to carry around? I assume they are important.
Thanks!
Glen

speg

Well.. if I were you i'd just let him have NO anemones :) they are a fantastic looking crab even without their special talent to hold anemones.. might even be slightly safer in a reef tank too!

ophiura

They might pick up something else along the way (polyps or something). I don't think you can buy the little anemones, and if you did there would be no way to convince them to pick them up :) It will be fine regardless, IMO :)
They are primarily used defensively, and the crab will jab them at things that it perceives are trying to attack it. In most tanks, they are probably relatively safe.

kails83

I looked at these crabs and did some research. I also heard that they do not need to have the anemone to survive and it is mostly a defense tactic. He should be okay without them.
:D