Silver Bubbles

peppy

Got big (1/2in across) and little silver bubbles showing up around the tank on the rock? At first I thought that was where all my baby snails were coming from? I have about 10 or so around the tank and took one off and cut it open and it is just full of water? Anyone got any ideas to what these are?

peppy

That is kind of what I thought. No little critters will eat that stuff? Between all my snails, hermits and shrimp my tank has stayed nice and tight, but it does not look like anything wants any part of the bubble algae?

clarkiiboi

I have seen here green and red bubble algea, silver is new to me (but always learning something here). Emeralds (some) eat the green bubble kind, maybe it will work for that too. If the 10 or so bubbles are easy to access, you could take the rock out and then remove it manually. Again, like said, it can spread if done in the tank. HTH. Bumping ya for better advice.

aarone

I had the same problem, then i popped the bubble, it was just that a bubble. It looks silver because the reflection from the light. Try popping it, im sure its just air.

nm reef

Definitely sounds like some type of valonia(buble algae) and I would not suggest "pop them" .... they release spores that will start new colonies rapidly. If un-controlled they can become a very persistant pest. I use a combination of methods to control the pest in my reef....first I manually remove any that I can easily reach(taking extreme care NOT to burst them)...second I keep 4-5 emerald crabs in the display(they tend to munch the very small ones before they grow)...Third I have a foxface lo that seems to enjoy them as tasty treats...and finally I have a very large needle/syringe that I use to deflate any larger ones which can't be removed manually.
Try a search on-line for additional info ... believe me these types of algaes can be very problematic if not controlled.:cool:

peppy

I really appreciate the info!
aarone, I took on out, cut it open and they are full of dirty looking water. Kind of a tough, thin, plastic like shell and definately not just a bubble.
NM reef, thanks for the advice. I have one Emerald Crab and he spends most of his time picking stuff off the trunk of my mushroom leather and it probably would not hurt to throw a couple more of those guys in there.
ClarkiiBoi, really silver looking could just be the reflection from my PC's but I would guess it was green bubble couple of the small bubble's look green? Taking out my rocks is really tough, I like to stick my coral inbetween two rocks to hold them. I will try the really carefull approach and prey I don't pop any.
thanks everybody.

aarone

aarone, I took on out, cut it open and they are full of dirty looking water. Kind of a tough, thin, plastic like shell and definately not just a bubble.
gotcha. I guess i just had a different kind of bubble.