Simple, inexpensive sump/ refugium

Mark666

I'm looking for a simple sump/ refugium that has a space for catching bigger stuff going through that I don't want in my Macroalgae, a bigger space for Macro, and finally, a space for return pump. My DIY skills leave something to be desired lol , so i'd rather just purchase a reasonably priced one. Any suggestions?? Thank you!!

Some Boxfish

beaslbob

I just used an egg crate crammed in 3" in front of the back glass. And moved everything forward. And added two 2 tube fluorescent shop light behind the tank pointing forward.

That formed an in tank refujgium when macros and post thrived.

An the tangs really enjoyed grazing on the macro that poked through the egg crate.

not to mention the pods generated also.

my .02

beaslbob

Just throw a "ball" of macro in there then?
Basically yea.

I used chaeto. and caulerpa profilera and grape caulerpa. (Hopefully I got the spellings close enough. LOL)

Initially with top lighting not the back lighting the profilera did well. With the higher back lighting the grape took off.

my .02

lmforbis

Cheap sump, for my 120 I have a 40 gallon breeder that I use. I made baffles out of 1/4” plexiglass and glued them with aquarium safe silicone. Took very little time to make, maybe an hour. You need to let the silicone cure for a few days. I already had the tank so it was just the cost of the plexiglass and silicone.
a shallow tank works best.

Bella Smith

I purchased Eshopp AEO 15005 reef sump a few months ago and it still works well. The refugium compartment was bigger than I thought it would be. However, it's more likely to get damaged easily.

Last edited: