simple sump Q **SQUID**

derxz

I just inherited a 75g display with a 60g fuge/sump. I didn't get to see how it was plumbed. I have an overflow in each corner. I also got a ETSS evolution 500 skimmer. I see where the skimmer is supposed to sit in the sump. Now, I need to somehow figure out where the overflows are supposed to drain into and where to put my mag 9 to use as a return. Also, the skimmer has 1 big tube coming out the bottom and one at the top. does this just sit in there and suck water in from the bottom that is already in the sump, or is an overflow supposed to drain into it? I pretty much have a good idea of what I'm doing. The far left baffle is only about 4 inches wide. The middle is really wide, maybe 20 inches( i know this is the fuge part) the far left baffle is divided in half. The skimmer fits in one half, then there is a series of 3 baffles like any standard sump, Two at the top and one between those two at the bottom. After the baffles there is only a few inches until the side wall of the sump.
HELP please!! I'm so close to getting this system complete!!

squidd

I need to somehow figure out where the overflows are supposed to drain into and where to put my mag 9 to use as a return
A picture would help...
Also, the skimmer has 1 big tube coming out the bottom and one at the top. does this just sit in there and suck water in from the bottom that is already in the sump, or is an overflow supposed to drain into it?
Sounds like your missing a pump...?
The far left baffle is only about 4 inches wide. The middle is really wide, maybe 20 inches( i know this is the fuge part) the far left baffle is divided in half. The skimmer fits in one half, then there is a series of 3 baffles like any standard sump, Two at the top and one between those two at the bottom. After the baffles there is only a few inches until the side wall of the sump.
Again hard to picture without a picture, but i'm guessing the far left (4") chamber is the return pump chamber...20" fuge in center (not my favorite design, but will work) your "other" far left chamber
(divided) probably holds the skimmer as you surmised, and the last little chamber ("only a few inches") is where the overflow should drain to...(from tank)

tinmanny

If you do a search on etss or reef devil you will see that they put the skimmer in the incoming compartment and the return pump in the opposite end. almost bought an etss but better deal changed my mind. The hole in the bottom of the skimmer is the return it sounds like you are missing a pump like stated earlier look it up it is a very good picture and description it may even be mounted externally if the hole is low enough in the sump.
Good Luck
Manny

derxz

thanks for all the help guys. I got it all figured out now. I do have a mag 9.5 on the skimmer. I just tore all the baffles out of the 40g sump. The return baffle was only about 4 inches wide. I do not have an RO or autotop off yet so I tore it all out and am redoing it tommorow. I'm going to make the return section a bit larger, aprox 8-10 inches. Is it neccessary to have a bubble trap?? I have all the .25" acrylic to make 2 baffles but no more. I don't feel like buying a 48x24 sheet just to make a few small cuts for a bubble trap.
Thanks!
edit: Since I'm redoing it, can someone give me what they think the optimum sump/refuge design is? So far I'm planning on doing a (overflow intake|refuge|return) setup and I will do this unless someone rationalizes otherwise. I do have dual overflows, one in each side (.75" bulkheads) so I could do other designs. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!