Sixline, Aggressive?

coxy101

I went to my LFS to get a sixline wrasse. The LFS guy asked me what I have in my tank (1 B&W clown, 2 Firefish, 1 yellow watchman) and he told me that the sixline may attack my firefish. He advised me against it unless I get a really tiny one.
Anyone had problems with this? Should I think about a different fish?

T

tizzo

Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael
p.311
(6 line wrasse)...better suited for the community tank. However, it will often behave aggresively toward peaceful wrasses and shy, inoffensive species.
(Firefish) p.361
A lovely but timid species that should be housed with other passive fishes.
HTH:)

coxy101

Hmmm... I can't decide! I want a sixline - but my tank is doing so well and I'm scared that I'll introduce something that will start killing off all my little fishies...

T

tizzo

Do you have plenty of LR for hiding places?? The book says what it says, but when asked which new fish to add, the most common answer that I've seen has been a six-line. Maybe if you add it now (after your firefish have steaked claim) then maybe a 6 line will behave. I had a 6 line but he died in QT so now I am gun shy. But that's me, I get gun shy easy. So if you get one, post how he does!!

coxy101

Our firefish really don't hang out in the rocks, except when they're sleeping at night. They usually just swim around outside of the rock. We have about 50 lbs of LR -- I'll find a picture and attach so you can see the setup.
I appreciate the help, Tizzo. :)

T

tizzo

Ooooohh. Nice!!! IMO, and only IMO, I would say go for it. Maybe another can shed more light, but the 6 line is so highly recommended that I would think that someone would have already come forward if they had probs...

bean 1

Everyone seems to have different experiences as fish have different personalities. For the most part, sixlines are great fish and will get along with just about everone. If your worried add him last after the others have been established. I added one to my 100g and he was the 3rd out of8 fish added and has never shown any aggression toward the others. Good luck!
Bean

coxy101

OK, I think I'll go for it. Just made me worried that the LFS actually discouraged me from buying something. I actually walked out empty handed.
I'll post how it goes...
Thanks!

cincyreefer

Yeah I have always had pretty much the same experience as trojan. They can show flashes of being really mean, especially to other smaller fish and particularly other long and skinny ones.

thisistodd

i had a sixline, before it magically disappeared as did about 6 other of my fish. it often chased around my other yellow wrasse but didnt touch the smaller occupants in my tank. it was actually quite funny to watch it, because the yellow wrasse would sneak somewhere in the rock, and then the sixline would be looking all over for it.

yaksplat

My six line lives happily with all of its tankmates...until i added a skunk clown. He killed the clown in under 3 hours.
I was unable to catch either one

coxy101

Any other suggestions for a small fish? I'm going to get a flame angel in a couple of months to finish off my fish list, but thought I could maybe have one more small fish.

coxy101

Well, it's been over a month since the addition of my sixline. No problems whatsoever. He's been a great fish - hasn't bothered my firefish or other fish.
He swims in the rockwork as well as out in the open. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones and he's not mean - or he's waiting for me to put my guard down.... :thinking:

meadbhb

Hiya,
My six line was great! Unfortunately I found his skull in the tank this weekend
I'm thinking of getting another one, he was my second addition. Other occupant was a scooter.
Meadbhb

reefeel

Try a 4 line wrasse they look just as pretty if not more. They are supposed to be less agressive, mine dosn't bother anyone.