skeptical

i have heard mixed things about salt water fish. some people said it is very high maintnance, others say that it isnt that difficult, just fun. I need your opinions!!! Also, if u have LS, can you use dead rock and fake plants, or do you have to use real plants. Also, how much does live sand cost per container. Thanks.

ocellaris_keeper

Dougdaskin,
take a look at the prices on SWF.com for LS. $49 for 20-25lbs, $89 40-45lbs. Free shipping.
ASFARAS keeping marine animals - it depends on how you set up your tank and what you do to it.
1. LR/LS + protien skimmer with the right number of fish for your tank size is quite easy to maintain. add the right number of snails/hermit crabs and use a carbon filter once in a while and you need nothing more than water changes.

twoods71

I have IMO a nice reef tank. The maintenance is not that bad. I clean the glass a few times a week, clean the skimmer cup about once a week, and do a water change once or twice a month.
I have been keeping saltwtaer tanks for almost 5 years and the reef for almost 1 year and still have not got burned out on the maintenance. The reward is well worth the effort.

petekc

You can and will get a lot of salt build-up on your lids and filters depending on what kidn of fitlers you use. I have 2 Emporer 400s that hang off the back of my tank. I get salt build-up on them to the tune of wiping them off once a week. Anywhere water may condensate or splash you will get salt build-up.