Skilter 250

C

clownguy

I have a 10gal tank with live sand and live rock. Also corals,clownfish,dottyback and starfish. I would like to use the skilter 250 on my tank. Would this be to much on a ten gallon tank?

stanlalee

no, thats about all it will be useful on (mainly because water changes are so easy on a 10 gallon you really dont need a skimmer). Hopefully you can stand the noise it makes and zillion bubbles it puts in the tank.

sarwiz100

After purchasing one of these for a 30 g Qt and returning a defective one, the replacement is working fine. The motor was surging very bad on the first one and it was putting tons of bubbles into the tank. We returned it and got another, and it seems to be working perfectly. You might have got a bad unit. The motor should not make hardly any noise, the air adjuster is probably installed backwards (both of ours were), and you can put a sponge behind the filter part to cut down on bubbles. The manufacturer's quality standards are somewhat lacking, but we got lucky on the second try. Had to swipe a part from the first unit though, because they forgot one in the second box. Good luck.

saltfan

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
no, thats about all it will be useful on (mainly because water changes are so easy on a 10 gallon you really dont need a skimmer). Hopefully you can stand the noise it makes and zillion bubbles it puts in the tank.
Don't use the line that comes with it. Use an air pump and stone, no noise and no bubbles in the tank. :)

alyssia

Originally Posted by SaltFan
Don't use the line that comes with it. Use an air pump and stone, no noise and no bubbles in the tank. :)

Yes, try that.But the skilter is a pain in the a**!!!

busymom

Glad I found this thread today, I have a skilter 400 and am doing the air stone trick but I am still not getting funkiness in my collection. I have fiddled with it and cant seem to get it to reach the cup. (you are right tho it did cut down on the bubbles, and I added the sponge too) I tried both a cheapy blue air stone and a wooden air stone and didnt see much difference. Does the wooden airstone get better after a while?
On A side note I am getting a new skimmer for my birthday, just thought I should get this one working until then.