skilter filters

angelamk

I found an auction for a Skilter Power filter w/Protein Skimmer 400. I am setting up a 55gallon "fish only" tank. Has anyone tried this product before? How effective was it? Would I need additional filtration for my size tank?

pstanley

If it is the one I am thinking of (looks like a power filter) than they aren't very effective...at least the protein skimmer part isn't. I had one about 5 years ago and it didn't work that well for me. Protein skimmers are more effective the higher they are (the longer distance the micro bubbles have to travel the more impurities bond to the bubbles). The small design of the powerfilter type skimmer aren't as effective as a larger model.

guppie

That filter skimmer combo is too small for a 55, even if you do the mod on the skimmer, I run one on a 25 and that is pushing it. Good Luck

jim672

angelamk,
I used one of those on my 45. It was very ineffective. Save your money for a real skimmer.
Jim

mr . salty

The filter on that model is VERY good,but as the others said the skimmer SUCKS...Not only does it not work,it is VERY NOISEY...

broomer5

Aside from a few old Rio powerheads and pumps, the Skilter250 is the only piece of equipment that I eventually threw in the trash.
My understanding is the 400 is even worse.
The marketing people that promote this thing should be ashamed of themselves.
I'm ashamed that way back when ... I let someone talk me into buying the p.o.s. before I researched it.
Even after several attempts of modifying the little piece of crap .... I tossed it.
I didn't even want to look at it anymore.

j21kickster

canister filters wouldnt be a bad choice for your FO tank. Eheim makes good some of the best and aquariumpros.com is running a sale. check it out.

krusk

I'm with broomer
I'm too have skilter 400.
I have try to mod the sucker. It's work better but still not as good as we want it to be.
Save that money for Maxi Jet power head and more liverock :)

cadbury

I also have to say I'm with everyone else, I've been running one on my 29 hex for quite sometime. The filter portion works great, but the SKILTER portion is non existing. It has never worked from day one, DON"T BUY IT!!!!!

ruaround

I tried one once...the only thing it did for me was leave a nice green stain on my wall around it...mine too is now in skilter heaven...save your $$$...get a real skimmer...you get what you pay for.