Skimmer and Powerheads?

hexagon30

Gmorning yall.
3 quickies;
Will I still need a power head for a 30 hex tall?
Also will a FLUVAL 304 hold the fort down or should I add a skimmer?
TIA

snipe

You need to shoot for 20 to 30 turnover rate that is the gph devided by the gallons of your tank. It also depends on what you want to keep FOWLR or Reef. I have 21x in my tank right now I am getting ready to bust it up to 25x. What all do you have in the tank that is moving water (I.E. Filter, Powerhead, SKimmer) Anything that is pushing water "in" your tank. And how many GPH is each item?

hexagon30

Originally posted by Snipe
You need to shoot for 20 to 30 turnover rate that is the gph devided by the gallons of your tank. It also depends on what you want to keep FOWLR or Reef. I have 21x in my tank right now I am getting ready to bust it up to 25x. What all do you have in the tank that is moving water (I.E. Filter, Powerhead, SKimmer) Anything that is pushing water "in" your tank. And how many GPH is each item?

So the fluval is rated at 260gph / 30 = 8.6 hmmm thats kinda low.
I'm going reef so a powerhead or 2 and a skimmer in a about 3 months should be a good start, does that sound good?
I just didnt want OVERKILL in the tank and wallet.
Thanks.
Any other opinions?

snipe

You can get all kinds of powerheads to fit your needs I have seen from the one I am using in my mixing tank "to mix new water" it is like 20 or 30 GPH and I have seen all the way up to around 1000 GPH You can get them pretty cheap around $11 to $20 a piece the big ones run around $50 a piece I like the jebo powerheads they have some that have built on filters so it would filter and move water they have them in 120 GPH all the way to 500 GPH. there $11 and $18 a piece.