Skimmer Brands

blue00si

What do you guys think about these different brands of Skimmers.
1. Jebo
2. Current
3. Coralife
4. Skilter
5. AquaC
6. RedSea Prism
Feel free to throw in any other brand you think that is deccent and a reasonable price.

gsd

1. Jebo TRASH
2. Current Mediocre at most
3. Coralife Besyt bang for the buck for a skimmer that actually does a good job
4. Skilter Yet more TRASH always in need of tweeking and fiddling
5. AquaC Over rated and does not do any better skimming than a Coralife does yet it costs more.....
6. RedSea Prism Trash, just likeSkilters and Jebo and Seaclones......sometimes they work most times they don't but they always need playing with or modding to even half work.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by blue00si
What do you guys think about these different brands of Skimmers.
1. Jebo
2. Current
3. Coralife
4. Skilter
5. AquaC
6. RedSea Prism
Feel free to throw in any other brand you think that is deccent and a reasonable price.
1. Jebo....as with all chinese manufactured lackadasical quality controlled Jebo stuff depends. depends on the model and the quality control of the particular unit you recieved. Might work great. might fall apart the 1rst day. Might be a dealer that will replace. might be a dealer that tells you to go screw yourself.
2.Current...well they only make one and I have no experience but I've read its not that good. Quite frankly its only rated for 12gallon and smaller tanks and is tiny so how much would you expect from it anyway
3.Coralife...Great performance, great price.....build/material quality...well it aint cheap for nothing. Think Dodge neon SRT4...fast as all get out, capable of embarrasing your shinny new 350ZX but its still a neon. I bought one anyway. If I have to buy two its still no more expensive than my 2nd choice
4.Skilter....sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have 1rst hand experience. Skims the tinest amount and makes a God awful lot of noise just to do that. Works fine as a HOB mechanical filter. sucks as a skimmer
5.AquaC...Remora/Urchins great for small and light load tanks. GROSSLY overhyped for use in anything else. EV series the real workhorses of the AquaC line up.
6.Red Sea Prizm....nothing to write home about. rank it right around seaclones and bakbaks depending on how good you are at setting it up. adequate for small tanks. red sea berlin classic and turbo are much better.

blue00si

What would you recommend for a 40 gallon for around $120. Don't want to keep messing with it all the time. Also don't want a million bubbles in the tank. My current skimmer suxs the big one and is getting ready to graduate to the trash can.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by blue00si
What would you recommend for a 40 gallon for around $120. Don't want to keep messing with it all the time. Also don't want a million bubbles in the tank. My current skimmer suxs the big one and is getting ready to graduate to the trash can.
Well the most trouble free, bubble free and ease of use model would be the AquaC remora for HOB skimmers but I dont know where you'd get one for $120. They arent that much more, though typically about $50 more than that. Bakbak not bad and around $120ish although I'd spend the extra $$ on the remora. If you have a sump screw all those and get an Octopus NW-110, ASM mini or coralife which to me is much less bulky looking and less worries of bubbles in/on sump. All the sump models are under $120.