Skimmer choice!

edavis

I am starting a 75 gallon reef tank and was wondering what skimmer too get!
I was looking into getting a 65 corallife skimmer!
Also do I need a power filter or a hang-on refugium would this work?

mpls man

depending how much money you want to spend, i have a euro reef es5-2 skimmer for my 75..(you get what you pay for)
heres a pic of the skimmer cup.

you can get others that may do just as good.
as far as the refugium i'm not sure how good the hang on 1s are, i have a 30 gal refugium that is seperate from my sump, a 25 gal.
don't think you'll need a power filter
do you have a sump now ? if not i would highly recomend 1.

I think you need the skimmer i have!!! I am not a company just a hobbier with the dream of biulding a 1150 gal system through the wall of my new house! I have biult a skimmer that works as good as the best I have seen. I as well have a 75 and a 50 gal. I bought my first then learnt from there! let me know if you need my help mr.man_cavan@hotmail.com

With getting a corallife skimmer you will love the fact you will not be getting any mirco-bubbles...BUT. I don't feel the skimming amount is as effiecent. The pump is using it power to push the water up to the collection cup then to deplete the bubbles it must force the water back down and up again.
As well I agree with the other message....a sump tank is a must for additions later as your hobby grows and control or water top offs and chemical additions!

puffer32

You will be fine with the coralife. I have one on my 55, and it does as good as the aqua C I had on my 75 afew yrs back. If you go with a sump at some point you can put the skimmer in it instead of on your tank. I am a big believer in skimmers, I have a german needle wheel (deltec)on my 150, and the coralife has one with a needle wheel, so that was my choice for a smaller tank.

fish addict

I have a 29 gal and am looking for a skimmer but I don't have a refugium, so I would need a hang of the back one. Does anyone have any suggestions? (not trying to hi-jack but I didn't want to start a new thread)
EDIT: I could make a refugium if you guys think I really should have one but could anyone point me to a specific thread that helps you through ALL the steps?

Originally Posted by puffer32
You will be fine with the coralife. I have one on my 55, and it does as good as the aqua C I had on my 75 afew yrs back. If you go with a sump at some point you can put the skimmer in it instead of on your tank. I am a big believer in skimmers, I have a german needle wheel (deltec)on my 150, and the coralife has one with a needle wheel, so that was my choice for a smaller tank.

I am not saying they won't work; and yes be fine. I have built many skimmers. I can put mine on a tank beside of a coralife and mine will fill with CONSITENT foam liqiud; not bubbles! You have to think the tank you put one skimmer on may have a different "load" on it. MY fish only tank "makes" a 1/2 cup aday. The needle wheels are a great blade design to create a fine micro bubble; and yes for sure you want a skimmer. Unless you want to change you water weekly, with many spikes in you nitrates; and so... a lose of alot of animals and $$$!

brandan

I have a SS65 and I love it. It might be kinda small for a tank that big, but if you get a good deal, go for it, if you have enough live rock it should make up for it, and you will probably only have 55-60gals of water in the tank anyways. Just my 2 cents