Skimmer for 10 gallon

keisersosei

I just started a nano reef and am looking for an HOB skimmer. I was thinking about getting the CPR Bak Pak 2R. I've read nothing but good reviews about it, mostly on this board. But I'm afraid it will be too large for a ten gallon tank, both aesthetically and flow-wise. I already have two AquaClear 201 powerheads and a Penguin 125 HOB filter providing current. That's 375 gph flow rate without the skimmer. Does the Bak Pak come with a pump; if so, what is the gph rating; and would this be too much current for my 10 gallon tank? Thanks for your help.

saltyrich

It would rock, but it might be a bit much. It flows 250 per hour. It does come with a pump. I might recommend one of the new, improved seaclones for a 10 gallon. Try the 100 model. The 150 may be a little much too. They have been greatly improved over the previous models in the past.

broomer5

keisersosei
I hung a Bak-Pak II on the back of my 10 gallon tank for awhile.
I thought it was silly - so I removed it.
On a small tank like a 10 - you can do a lot of water changes for the cost of a protein skimmer.
Mix up a gallon or two, do the water change - and you're good to go.
Water quality doesn't get too much better than 24-48 hour newly mixed saltwater .... if it's mixed right with good RO or RO/DI - ya know.
But if you're really wanting a skimmer for the nano - many do use the CPR Bak-Pak's.

keisersosei

I like the price of the SeaClone. I can't tell from the pictures I've seen though: how does the water return to the tank? Is there any kind of drop from the skimmer to the tank? I ask because I don't have a glass top between the water and lights and I'm very careful about splash.

saltyrich

I do know that the Bak Pak's return is under the water surface and produces no splash. I can't speak for the seaclone. I do know that for about 30 bucks more, you'll get a better skimmer in the Bak pak. If brommer says it will work on a 10, I'd do it.

broomer5

Here's the part I forgot to mention.
A standard 10 gallon tank is not tall enough for the Bak-Pak to hang on.
I the 10 on a small sturdy table, but had to move it to the rear of the table - in order for the skimmer to hang.
The bottom of the skimmer was below the table surface then.
It worked fine - but I decided to dismantle the 10 and move on.
I had 4 tanks going at once - and it was too much work ( for me ).
This was as far as I got - and was after I removed the skimmer.

mlm

The seaclone returns the water via a waterfall type thing to the top of the water. It is very gentle and does not splash or create bubbles.

keisersosei

So, Broomer, you're saying that the Bak Pak would hang down past the tank? I have it sitting on a stand that sticks out about half an inch on the back. That is, the stand extends .5" farther than the tank. This shouldn't be a problem, should it? Also, how far does it stick up past the top of the tank?
Thanks, everybody, for your quick responses.

saltyrich

I'm guessing mine extend above the top of the tank about 4-5 inches. Being a hang-on it does not interfer with my canopy though. Check the CPR website for dimensions. If it clears, I'd go with it.

saltyrich

The bak pak measures exactly 7.5 x 3 x 17.5. Isn't a 10 gallon 12" tall. It may just work. At 17.5" tall with 4-5 inches above the top rim of the tank, it might clear. Not sure.

broomer5

keisersosei
yes - when I had it on my 10 gallon tank - the skimmer had to hang down the side of the tank, and extended down past the table surface - in your case - the stand surface.
It has 2 leveling screws on it that normally press against the back outside glass - to get the skimmer vertical - not leaning in towards the tank - or back towards the wall.
It worked on my 10 - but I had to locate the tank near the edge of the table - so the skimmer would hang down past the table top.
Here's the only pick I have - that shows how high a CPR Bak-Pak extends above the tank. This is not on a 10 gallon btw.