Skimmer for 220g tank?

trillionaire

Do you thnik the Red Sea Berlin Turbo would be a good choice for my 220g tank. I want to go with the Turbo XL but it's to tall to fit under my cabinet and I don't want any eqipment outside of the cabinet. Also after reading prior post about the problems with the pumps that come with the turbos do you think it would be better to buy it with the pump or buy it without and supply my own pump.

tangman99

Trillionaire,
The Berlin Turbo is good for up to 250 gallons and is a good skimmer. I'm not falimilar with skimming tanks that large so there may be better skimmers when you get to tanks of your size. I'll leave that to someone else to address.
If you want to use the Turbo, you have to use the proprietry HYDOR pump that comes with the setup. It's the pump that makes it a "turbo" if you will. If you want to use your own pump, buy the regular Berlin. The skimmers are both identical. The difference is the turbo mixes the air in the pump and the regular berlin has a venturi that puts air in the water without using the pump.
I hope the problems are fixed with the third generation impellor. I put mine in, but only time and few power failures will tell.
Overall, I like the Turbo a lot. It makes tons of tiny bubbles and removes a lot of crud.
Tangman :D

Hi, trillionair, We have had the berlin turbo in our 200 8 weeks after the cycle and really pulls out the crud. But on saturday guess what , the pump quit . Called them monday and they sent me a whole new skimmer and pump got it today . one day delivery ya got to love it. Got the new one in and seems to be working great. Know I just have to send the old one back, To me this shows great customer service. It is a nice unit..cya..fixit :)

b_ball12_99

I have had the good customer service also, they have no problem replacing propellers and seems like no problem replacing pumps.