SKIMMER for NANO TANK - Question.

curiousnano

I plan to buy this skimmer for my Nano 12Gal: Fission Nano-Protein Skimmer
The reason of buying it because I like to set up most kind of corals / fish .. in my tank.
What you think? Do I need it ???
I never seen this Skimmer - And not even sure how to install it, if it will be installed inside / or outside ??
Thanks

jacksonpt

For the average tank, I've never been a believer in skimmers. I suspect I'm in the minority here, but if you do your homework and are smart about your tank (both setup and maintenance), you shouldn't need one.
I'd get your tank setup to the point where you're ready to add coral, do some water tests and see if you need a skimmer. Good source water, adequate LR/LS, appropriate fish (i.e. not overstocking), and not overfeeding should lead to a good, solid tank without the need for a skimmer.

curiousnano

I will do corals and fish - Do We really need this skimmer?
or just change water every 2 weeks - is that good enough?
(I just worry we don't have room to install this skimmer inside the tank)
Any input is appreciated.

marco333

Probably the biggest wast of money I have spent on fish supplies. It creates thousands of bubbles and it did'nt even work much at all. 1 to 2 week water changes are a much better option.

curiousnano

Thanks Marco.
Think we just do that then. Here is my tank after a week. I got a pair of clown fish from the lfs (he moved and sold me $3 each) - Think it's too early for fish but its such a good deal - hope they're alive.

cwazy clow

i would get a skimmer. i run an aquac remora on a 10g and it works wonderfully, take thoes filter pads out. they are a breeding ground for nitrates. dont use filter floss at all, just take rubbel rock and put it in there. works much better.

curiousnano

Mine is close style nano cube. There is no way I can hang the skimmer. The one you use is for external hang, is that right? And maybe you don't have an open tank (no lid like mine)???
Which pad you think i should take out? The white or blue? I think we should keep them to filter the food left over and others dirty..??
The rubbel rock you mentioned, do you mean Live Rock?
Thanks

sdwarrior

honestly protein skimmers on small tanks are a waste of money just do biweekly water changes save the money and buy a nice fish or coral

chipmaker

I dunno if the tanks have fish and corals a protein skimmer is good to have no mnatter what size tank yu h ave, I may and sometimes I may not do a bi, or even weekly or even a monthly water change on my picos (2 gal or less) that we have scattered all over the house, but one thing they all have is a skimmer. I have the current fission skimmer in three small nano tanks and it works fine if the wate rlevel is kept constant with an ATO...if not they suck, but then most any skimmer sucks if water levels in tank is not fairly consistent. Look for a Sanders Picollo skimmer, Its small enough to fit into the back compartments and close the lid on the Aqua pod and JBJ Nanos of 12 gal or larger. They do require a air source but are very effective. Small effective skimmers are not usually a thing of reality, but the Sanders Picollo is an exception. IT WORKS GREAT!

the j.o.p.

i just got a nano skimmer in the mail 2day. i can't wait to get home and install it!!! i will let you know how it works.

L

lbaskball

that nano skimmer made by current usa is a load of crap. The colletion cup is so small that its useless. I broke it in half and fed it to my dog to pee on. Then I took the pumpand used it as a powerhead in my tank. :) I dont think a skimmer is necessary on a 12gal tank.

cwazy clow

take out all filter floss...for the white one, you can keep that but you MUST remember to rinse it at least once a week if not more. . i m hanging a aquac on mine, but yours id closed sooo...that is tough, unless you start modding stuff (i wouldnt until you know how everything works). many people would debate on nano's whether or not to use a skimmer but mine constantly pulls allot of junk out of my water. as for the nano fission, the ratings are very extreme. meaning either it works or not. if you do decide to try it..buy it from a local store and try it for a few days and if it doesnt work, return it =D if you bought it on the internet, you have just wasted 30$ ...it mainly depends what kind of fish you get and corals *expecially corals* if these fish are hardy or very hardy, then you can get away w/o a skimmer butt...if not, i would reccomend one. same goes for corals. most LPS or SPS will not tolerate poor water but if you are planning to go polyps/mushrooms/all these softies, then it might be ok. you will just have to do 5-10% changes weekely, rather then 10% changes monthely.