Skimmer help

aceroc

My skimmer has been running for 2 days now and i have no foam. Looks like white foam going up to the collection cup but is bubbles then they disapear.
Any ideas?

aceroc

It's a Amiracle Skimmer, 75gal, tank has been up for 6 to 7 weeks with 3 blue/green chromis, clown fish and live rock.

airforceb2

How much LR and what do you have for substrate? I find it hard to believe that there is no protein in the tank. Not familiar with that skimmer.

aceroc

I have about 20pounds of LR that is seeding 75 ponds of base rock and i have CC for substrate ( yes i know, i know everyone hates it and i didn't read before i bought it).
The skimmer was free so i am trying to get it to work and save money.

monalisa

Aceroc,
Is it a HOB skimmer, or in-tank? can you describe in detail or possibly post a picture of it? That might help with getting some solutions.
Lisa :happyfish

monalisa

Originally Posted by Aceroc
It's is used for HOB or in the sump. here a link to the one i have but it doesn't really tell me much.
http://www.tplastech.com/amiracle/psinstructions.htm
Yeah, you're right.
Well, can you adjust how low or hight the collection cup is in the skimmer? I would say try lowering it...just a tad and let it run for a bit, then check to see if it's performing (I actually have to use a flashlight to do this because my skimmer is all smoke colored). If that doesn't work...but give it a while...do you have venturi valve or something like that that you could adjust? Although it sounds to me like you're getting the skimming action if you're getting the foam...first try adjusting the collection cup if you can...

aceroc

yes i have a valve on on my air pump to regulate the air. I adjusted the air so the bubbles are half way up into the funnel before it goes into the collection cup. Just for the record what does the foam look like. Mine looks like just a massive amount of bubbles in the funnel.

jes723ika

sounds like the problem i'm having with mine, someone gave it to me, and the tornado part of it works LOL, thats what i call it, but nothing comes out into the collection cup.. the guy who gave it to me says nothing is wrong with it (well he sold it to me for a friend of his) and i dont believe him because its just not doing anything, here is a pic of mine, can someone help???

monalisa

My skimmer isn't exactly like yours, but I think they all work similarly. What I do when I need to readjust mine (like after a water change) is I adjust the valve down to as tight as it will get (you should hear a difference in the way the skimmer sounds), then slowly adjust watching the bubble action in the skimmer. When I think I have it right, then I will leave it and check later to see if there's any foam action going on in the collection cup...readjust as needed. Hope this helps.
I'll check later.

jes723ika

Yeah I do that all the time.. I'm constantly playing with and only managed to get foam to come out of it once and it went away almost instantly.. I will probably just get a new one, so that I know there is nothing wrong with it.. I hate not knowing if its working properly or not.

mavgi

My skimmer has been running for 2 days now and i have no foam. Looks like white foam going up to the collection cup but is bubbles then they disapear.
Any ideas?
hi
skimmer need to break in and it's can take time. did you wash the skimmer with hot water before you install that into your system .

monalisa

yes i have a valve on on my air pump to regulate the air. I adjusted the air so the bubbles are half way up into the funnel before it goes into the collection cup. Just for the record what does the foam look like. Mine looks like just a massive amount of bubbles in the funnel.
Like I said, our skimmers are not real similar, but I think they work pretty much the same. When you adjust the air valve all of the way down (tight closed) the bubbles should slow down considerably and the water level in the skimmer should go up. Slowly open the air valve to where you think you want it with the bubble action going very nicely into the tube...this shouldn't take too much adjusting so keep an eye on it. Don't expect the foam to start immediately, give it a little while, then check. If still no foam action, lower or heighten the collection cup, wait and check. Adjust as needed. Hope this helps.
BTW the foam going into the collection cup looks just like soapy water bubbling up the tube...at least that's what I get, and I have to empy my skimmer at least once/week, yucky stuff coming out...peee-eeewww

monalisa

I made an adjustment on mine, should i see white foam, brown foam?
Thanks for your help.
I know with my skimmer, the foam looks pretty white going in, but the crud that I empty every week is brownis-green and smelly..
As said previously though, and should be emphasized, a new skimmer needs to break in. I swear, I really didn't see much action from mine for at least 3 weeks after I put it in...just a thought.

aceroc

could it be that i have no collection because my tank is new? After 2 days i thought i would get somthing in the collection cup.

monalisa

could it be that i have no collection because my tank is new? After 2 days i thought i would get somthing in the collection cup.
Yup, just posted that. Patience grasshopper (are you old enough to know where that comes from?).
Also, if the skimmer is new, just give it some time, but also keep in mind the different adjustments that you may need to make in the future. Mine started doing this grinding sound for a while and drove me crazy (I did NOT want to get another skimmer!!!!!...check previous threads about that fiasco). Somehow it dawned on me that all I needed to do was check the venturi valve and readjust...that did the trick.
Best of luck...I hope your skimmer works out, I bet it will.