Skimmer Help

sparty059

I'm looking to build a sump tank... I will be adding the skimmer as well. I only have a clearance of 21" from the bottom of my cabinet to the top. I find it hard to come across any skimmers that are smaller than 22". Does anyone know of a good skimmer that is smaller? My tank is a 125 Gallon Aquarium.

scsinet

That's not much room... especially when you consider that you need room to get the top off and into the neck for cleaning.
Several high end manufacturers make short skimmers, but they are very expensive. I know Deltec makes one, I'm pretty sure Bubble King does as well, but prepare to shell out big bucks and I'm not even sure they are short enough.
Have you considered running an external skimmer like a recirculator that can be set outside the stand? Perhaps you could enclose it in some sort of cabinet. Alternatively, you may look into running two smaller capacity skimmers instead of one big one. I have an Octopus that I'm pretty sure is no more than about 18" tall, two of them would be great.

sparty059

Could you give me the information of your skimmer? I'd rather keep it in the sump if possible. How would I run an external? Would I just run a line from the section section of the sump to the skimmer then to the third section?

meowzer

Look at this one
Reef Octopus Super XP 2000SSS Protein Skimmer is a Brand New design in our ever popular Reef Octopus line of protein skimmers. Powered by Bubble Blaster pump!
An integrated bubble plate to help reduce turbulence within the skimmer which helps build a dense head of foam.
Ultimate cone shape body, extra-wide plumbing and necks allow for more air flow and more stable reactor chamber. Wedge pipe output which allows you to adjust the skimmer and have greater control of adjustments compared to using ball valves.
Quick release neck on the collection cup - requires 1/2 inch of clearance to remove the cup.
Specifications:
6.5" Base
9.7" x 7.5' x 19.9"
Neck 3.5"
900lph or 31scfh
Recommended for tanks up to 150 gallons light stock
3 year warranty on the pump Bubble Blaster HY1000
$325.00

sparty059

Wouldn't the base be added onto the 19.9... making it 26.4"? Everywhere I am reading shows the specs as 26" tall.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Sparty059
http:///forum/post/3292110
Wouldn't the base be added onto the 19.9... making it 26.4"? Everywhere I am reading shows the specs as 26" tall.
HMMM...IDK...I just saw the 19.9
Sorry..just trying to help...LOL...you can always call one of the places that carry it and ask to be sure....

sparty059

So then do I have any other options instead of a skimmer? Or is a skimmer really the best option? I swear, this cabinet is starting to make me really angry with all the issues it's causing. The person that had it before me said they were going to include everything I needed to start it up. Unfortunatly, they didn't. Now, I'm left with a tank that doesn't seem to fit a normal skimmer and is going to be difficult to get a sump tank in! F#%@!!!!!!!!!

egill

The 19.9 is the height and the 9.7" x 7.5'' is the measurements of the base so you know how much room you need in your sump for it.

egill

I sounds like it would fit but won't give you much clearance to get the top off. Some skimmers will tell you how much clearance is needed to remove the top (or lid on my Aqua C)

meowzer

Originally Posted by EGILL
http:///forum/post/3292141
I sounds like it would fit but won't give you much clearance to get the top off. Some skimmers will tell you how much clearance is needed to remove the top (or lid on my Aqua C)
It says only needs 1/2" of clearance...BUT...I would look up someone who sells it...and call them

2quills

Dont forget to account for the fact that you are planning on puting it inside of your sump. So you have to account for the trim and thickness of the glass on the bottom of the tank pluss the skimmer height and how much clearence you're going to need to remove the cup.
Another thing about putting it on your sump is certain skimmer run best in certain depths of water. Some people have to set their skimmers on stands to raise them up in order to drop the waterline down a bit. So it's something to consider when building your sump as well as purchasing a skimmer.

sparty059

I was able to fit the tank and the skimmer in!!!!!! I think it has a clearance of 6" of water so my tank is 12" tall so I should be in great shape! Ahhhhhhhh this is all starting to come together!!!

king_neptune

Did you get the $300 150g rated version?
or the $500 200g version?
I googled
Reef Octopus Super XP 2000SSS Protein Skimmer
and two models with the same name came up.
BTW, is it up and running?
I think ill get this one myself as well.(the larger version)

sparty059

I didn't get either, I ended up getting PSK-150. I haven't set it up yet... I'm still building my sump so it should be up and ready within the next week or two. I'll let you know how it works.

king_neptune

What made you choose that one?
The design doesn't look as good as the Reef Octopus.
Not knocking you, just my thoughts at a glance.
And I was curious what made you choose it.

sparty059

They had it at the LFS. I was also limited based on height of my cabinet. My cabinet has a max height of 24" and most were 25" or even 24" with a 1/2" of extra room needed... so I ended up just going with that. Many reviews show that it's actually very well built and a great skimmer for the price.
--I'm sure it's not as great as the Octopus... but it apparently gets the job done.