skimmer help

clownsrcoo

Hello everyone,

I have just started my skimmer today for the first time in my sump. I ran it all day while at work and when i came home and looked at how it was doing i need your help.

I have a bubble magus curve 5.

I just filled my tank with saltwater and am running everything to check for leaks and get my water temp stable. I have not started to cycle the tank yet and figured now would be a good time to leave the skimmer on just to get used to how it works. When i got home today i saw that my collection cup was full of water. It looks like the bubbles are carrying a lot of water with them up into the cup and it almost looks like a bot of boiling water boiling over. The skimmer cup has a drain outlet tube on it but that is laying in the water and when i held it up nothing is coming out of that tube. I thought that was the purpose of that drain was so it didnt overflow itself.

Why is my skimmer collecting so much water in the cup? Is my water level too high? I turned the water output adjustment tube all the way to MIN and it was still filling the cup with water after only a few seconds.

The instruction manual on this thing sucks and is very vague. It says to keep the water level it is in at 25-27cm which is like 9.8 -10.6"

I have my sump water level sitting at 10.25" right now

Its obviously not working the way it should so someone please help me.

Also on a side note what kind of ventilation do all of you have in your stand? I have noticed its getting really humid in there and with all of the bubbling and splashing i am worried i will get mold growing in there. Does anyone have a problem with that?

geridoc

Skimmers require a few days to break in, but yours won't because there is no organic matter in the tank, so the bubbles never stabilize. Turn off the skimmer, cycle the tank, add animals, and in about 6 months start the skimmer and it will go much better.