Skimmer help

pokke

Wow! There must be a thousand different skimmers out there from home built to industrial monsters.
I'm looking for recommendations on a skimmer for a FO (but may end up Reef later if I stick with the hobby). I'd like to target the $120 or less range if possible for a 135 gal tank.
I've heard bad things about SeaClones and so-so reviews of the Prizm skimmers.
I did look at an Excalibur at one point.
I do shop ---- and came across a number of auctions for the JEBO 180. Price is right, but the "too good to be true" thing is flashing brightly!
Opinions? Recommendations?

david s

I do shop ---- and came across a number of auctions for the JEBO 180. Price is right, but the "too good to be true" thing is flashing brightly!
from my experince in this hobby if it seems to good to be true it useally is lol $120 is kinda low to buy a skimmer for a 135. I would keep and eye on the tradeing and classifieds here on the board you may get lucky

cboyfan2020

I got a brand new Kent Nautilus TE skimmer brand new for $120 shipped off the classifieds. Post " WTB: Protein skimmer" and explain what you want and people will come out of the woodwork.

fshhub

do you want a hang on, or in sump??
I personally would raise my budget at least a little, even if it means waiting anohter week or so.
Maybe, the berlin turbo which is under 200, i believe, may work
or an AquaC but hte EV line starts at about 300$
for a tank that size, I would not think there would be much availale, unless you get lucky and find a good used one. However, you did mention built, they seem sot work great for those who have them and one LFS here builds them for 180$ and up and they will work on most tanks up to 500 gallons.

pokke

Looking for a hang on type.
I did get an offer of an Excaliber hang on from a LFS I trust that was sized for the tank in the price range, but I wanted to see what folks had to say.
That auction I listed is for a $90 skimmer, but $90 on a crappy skimmer is $90 down the tubes.