Skimmer Issue

1fast300z

Quick background on the info
Seaclone 150 Protein Skimmer ( I Know they are not that good.)
Maxi-jet 1200 powering it
Alright so I finally adjusted my air valve correctly on my skimmer and then a few days later noticed the jet did not seem to be powering it enough and allowing the water movement to be strong while keeping enough air bubbles in the main chamber to create foam near the collection cup. I then thought the jet may just be bad so I swapped with another maxi-jet (same model) to see if that would take care of the problem. It didnt and My skimmer is still acting up.
I think it could be two things tell me if Im wrong.
Either something is wrong with the air line or the adjuster on the top.
or...
There is somehow less oxygen? Or whatever is in the water which creates all the tiny bubbles to create the foam because I am treating for Hyposalinity.
Anyone else Notice their skimmers not working when they are dropping their salinity down for parasite treatment?
Thanks,
-peter

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by 1fast300z
Quick background on the info
Seaclone 150 Protein Skimmer ( I Know they are not that good.)
Maxi-jet 1200 powering it
Alright so I finally adjusted my air valve correctly on my skimmer and then a few days later noticed the jet did not seem to be powering it enough and allowing the water movement to be strong while keeping enough air bubbles in the main chamber to create foam near the collection cup. I then thought the jet may just be bad so I swapped with another maxi-jet (same model) to see if that would take care of the problem. It didnt and My skimmer is still acting up.
I think it could be two things tell me if Im wrong.
Either something is wrong with the air line or the adjuster on the top.
or...
There is somehow less oxygen? Or whatever is in the water which creates all the tiny bubbles to create the foam because I am treating for Hyposalinity.
Anyone else Notice their skimmers not working when they are dropping their salinity down for parasite treatment?
Thanks,
-peter
I think it is definately a AIR- VALVE problem, also check out the VENTURI INTAKE and make sure it is Very clean, that really affect bubble volume, ALSO make sure you play with the intake air valve, opening i and closing it to find perfect froth, I have have some of my hyposalinity tanks at 1020sg with froth still developing in my collection chamber! GooD Luck!

reefkprz

skimmers dont work as well in lower salinity water. but it wouldnt stop the bubbles from being blown in they just pick up less stuff. I have a friend that uses one on a brackish tank. I would suggest that it is most likly the air valve. good luck. If you decide to break down and buy a new skimmer. I found my coralife super skimmer skims excelently. minor problems with bubble return to the tank but since its in my custom built sump its a non issue. good luck.

slugg3r

How do you have the skimmer setup? Is it in a sump? The pump is only powerfull enough if it is no deeper then 4 inches into the water. I set mine on a stand made out of eggcrate in my sump and it works OK that way, you just have to clean out the airhose every once inawhile to ensure it doesn't clog with salt.