skimmer making fizz

flip_x

hey guys my corallife super skimmer is gay.. all it does is fizz unless there is food in there then once the food is gone it just fizz.. whats wrong with it? thanks
Cedric

kube

how long have you had it? it take a few weeks to a month to start to work. i bought one a month ago (125) and pulls the nastiest green slime out of the water.

robertmathern

hang in there. I think you have a good skimmer. It just has not broke in yet. Also it will depend on your bio in the water for it to skim out.

flip_x

ive gotten it to skim some nasty green stuff but once the inside of the cone gets dirty it doesnt do anything anymore now i just cleaned it and now it just fizzes i dont get it.. blah..
also it just makes a billion little bubbles in the tank... thats annoying..

kube

Are you using it as a Hang on back style. It works best when you have a constant water level even a little bit of evap can make a produce more or less

flip_x

always keep it filled to the plastic rim... and use the HOB style did what the instructions wanted me to do was set the bubbles right before the collection cone for a dry skim.. and it will just sit there and fizz i bet if i feed them right now it will bubble..
seems like it has a mind of its own works when it wants too and what not..

kube

I have mine Hanging On the side of the first compartment in my sump (same concept as you have yours), so the water is constant with no change, but i have the pump 2.5 inches from the surface of the water, I basically cut that plastic hose as short as I could have it and still be able to secure the pump to the skimmer inlet, I will take a pic if you want when I get home from work tonight.

flip_x

hey just did what u told me to make that tube alot shorter.. now its only a few inches away from the top.. i dunno if it fixed my micro bubbles prob or cleaning that bubble trap did...
anyways still fizzing and now there is a loud hum... is that bad for my fishes? if u feel the tank u can feel it vibrate alittle..

kube

mine vibrates a little, I also have a mag 9.5 sitting on a rubber car mat in my sump, it doesn't vibrate the water through

flip_x

thx for helping me kube. I think it's starting to work right after I fed it it's making foam now and no micro bubbles. Just got to fix that humming noise as it's the loudest thing in my tank LOL.