skimmer only?!

kaiserpup

I read on a site
"Another popular myth from fish stores and unexperienced reefers is that a wet/dry or trickle filter is needed. This is untrue and will actually become a nitrate factory, trapping debris and slowly having it decay fouling your water. The only man made filter you need is a protein skimmer. (the ocassional use of a bag of carbon is also reccomended to clean the water, but for no longer than 2 weeks at a time and replace the carbon after each use)."
This sounds wrong,(since I've read many posts about people with wet/dry filters) and is totally opposite what my dealer told me. Any advice or thoughts?

jacksonpt

That is generally accepted as true, assuming 1 thing... you have enough LS/LR to carry on a fair amount of biological filtration.

reeferx

I am not sold on the 'nitrate factory' rep. wet/drys get, BUT...
If you have a lot of quality live rock (porous/light,etc, from a good source) somewhere in the neighborhood of 1+ to 2 lbs per gallon and a good sand bed, either live, or good quality dry sand - it will eventually be live - THEN you don't need a wet/dry. There will be enough bacteria in the rock and sand to handle the load.
Carbon, or a carbon like product, is nice to use occasionally, but not needed.

kaiserpup

Thanks guys! I've now got a 2.5 in sand bed with live sand on top, and a few peices of live rock. I plan on adding more during this cycling process. I think for now though I will keep my wet/dry system.

Anthem, I've been looking for info regarding biological filtraion "capability" of LS vs LR. Where did you find your info on this, or is this experience talking? I'm seriously researching this issue and would appreciate all info you can supply, Thanks Fester (nicholas@wcc.net)