Skimmer - Possible to skim to much?

riemski

I have been questioning if i have been skimming to much. Is this possible? I have a 130 gallon bowfront with an ETSS900 skimmer. Now that i am getting enough filter feeders in my system, I was wondering if i should cycle my skimmer on and off. I was thinking 12 hours on, and then feed the fish in the evening after it turns off. This way any off the excess food can be circulated for 12 hours at night allowing filter feeders time to feed before being skimmed out. It seems many of the corals want to feed at night - candy cane, favia, sun coral, etc. Does this make sense or sound like a good idea? Or would this just cause a build up of nitrates in my system? I just checked my water parameters last night and have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates with an API test kit. Thanks for views and ideas.

big

I think the question of "over skimming" has been around for a good while now......
If you are keeping SPS, many of those guys will say you can't overdo it..... To many of us less, sophisticated types I think at times our oversized Skimmers may do just that - over skim or rob our water of foods the critters need......
IF all other pranms are balanced and in check I feel something less that 24-7 skimming is maybe the right direction to take.......
I remember the first book I ever had about Reef Keeping published in the early 90's listed an number of Corals as "easy to Keep"that today we find much harder to care for. Are the issues water quality, coral health, or a combination of factors? Was it just they needed the "dirtier" water containing a higher level of nutrients in the water to remain healthy and supply them with needed foods?? Collection methods-places ,issues play a role too. Who knows all these things for sure.......
I too have lots of filter feeders, dusters, Coco Worms and a number of night feeders that a big Skimmer may be robbing of needed foods. My Skimmer takes about a third place these days to other "cleaning and tank care methods " I use.................. Just my .02 worth..................... Warren

aquaknight

I would say, that you can overskim, but that's talking like an EuroReef RC500 on a 72 bowfront. Even on those tanks with lots of filter feeders, what you can do is skim 'drier', instead of 'wet'. So that the skimmer will leave more of those filterable organics in the water, but still get all of the 'nasties' out of the water.

salt nate

very good answers, both thought out very diligently

I love the fact that people care enough about others to carefully respond and engage someone who is in need!

nigerbang

I was running a deltec rated for 500 on my 180 and now Im running a CSS 220 on my 120 I dont think you can over skim

riemski

Thank you as saltnate said. Lots of opinions on every subject, and not all fit everyones setup. One thing that works for somebody, fails for someone else. I just wanted someone with more experience than I to keep me from making a "known" mistake. I will try this skimmer cycling for awhile and keep close tabs on my water parameters and see how things go. I mainly have lps, but some softies and sps. I will try and update in a few weeks with my results. Thanks.

riemski

Update - Well not working so well. Nitrates up to 20-40. I will give this another shot being I added a CB Butterfly which probably will throw off my parameters anyway. I have also been feeding heavy making sure the CB eats and adjusts to its new home. I will do a couple 10% water changes a week until my nitrates are down and then wait 4 weeks for stabilization. I will then retry my skimmer cycling. Update to follow later....