Skimmer Question

X

xrobbx03

Ok i have a question for my skimmer. I have a CPR Bak-Pak Skimmer with a rio 800 pump. My new tank is going to be 65 Gallons with a 20 gallon sump (not filled to capacity). The CPR with the rio 600 is rated for 60 Gallon tanks. Will my CPR be ok on the 65 with the rio 800 if not is there a different pump i can get so it would work with my system? I'm on a budget and really want to avoid buying a new Skimmer.

sula

xxrobb-
I have a CPR BakPak on a 29g tank, and personally I don't think it could handle more than a 40 gallon tank. That could be because I don't clean it often enough, on my current application it's a real pain to get to it, remove it, and clean it. Maybe if you used it in a sump this would be easier.
I switched my pump to a Maxijet1200 (get the venturi attachment) which definitely helped the performance.
I think it would be worth at least trying on your new tank, and deciding down the road whether to upgrade skimmers. I'm thinking you may want to plan your sump with enough room for an in-sump skimmer, just to hedge your bets
That way, you're set when that really great deal comes along....
Just my opinion - hope it helps
:happyfish

X

xrobbx03

I think I am going to use it for the initial setup while my bioload is light. After that I will think about upgrading. I think the AquaC Urchin with the mag drive pump wouldnt be a bad choice.

litdawg79

I have a bak-pak skimmer on my 80 gallon SW tank, and it work really good. I do not have a sump on it. But at the moment I am having a problem with the bak-pak overflow, can't get it to stop over flowing. I think the bak-paks are really good.