Skimmer Recomendations

tomclx

Hello,
My Skimmer just died, and i was wondering if anyone could suggest a good skimmer for a 100 gallon FOWLR with a 25 gallon refugium. I was using a sea life skimmer, however, i was not happy with it. Any recomendations would be great.
Thanks

K

kpatrick

I have been researching Octopus skimmers and they are getting great reviews and are reasonable when it comes to price compared to similar skimmers.

brandan

If you want to spend the money, I have heard really good things about the ASM Skimmers, I would personally recommend an ASM G3. If you do not want to spend the money, I love my Coralife Super Skimmer. I have the 65, and the 125 is just as good in quality. I say the ASM if you have a ~$250 budget, or the SS125 for a ~$170 budget. For the price, you can not bet Coralife's Skimmers.

puffer32

I have a Deltec on my 150, and a coralife on my 55. I like them both, but you can't beat the Deltec,

veni vidi vici

I have a Coralife SS 125 on my 75 gal.and i like it ,was easy to dial in and i havent had any problems with it. However its the first skimmer ive ever had so i cant compair it with anything else.

joncat24

the octopus skimmers will beat any of the skimmers listed as far as performance except for the deltec. For the money you can get a ddnw 200 for 179 plus shipping if you look hard enuf and it is cheaper than all the others and built way better. It is built out of cast acrylic...the only other one of the above mentioned is deltec. The coralife's used to be good for the money, then they raised the price on them and priced themsleves out of the market IMO.
Buy the octopus....you will be happy.

sh00tist

If you want to plug the thing in and dump a container of the nastiest skimmate you have ever seen Id go with a Euroreef. I got an rs5-3 used from a buy/sell board for 170.00 shipped and I wouldnt trade it for any other brand short of a Bubbleking. No fuss,no dialing it in plug it in and forget about it.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by joncat24
the octopus skimmers will beat any of the skimmers listed as far as performance except for the deltec. For the money you can get a ddnw 200 for 179 plus shipping if you look hard enuf and it is cheaper than all the others and built way better. It is built out of cast acrylic...the only other one of the above mentioned is deltec. The coralife's used to be good for the money, then they raised the price on them and priced themsleves out of the market IMO.
Buy the octopus....you will be happy.

what he said. There are only three brands of skimmers that perform like the big boys for little money that I know of: Octopus, DAS and AquaEuro but of those only the octopus is easy to find anywhere, easy to find replacement parts and common mods to do easy to find.
I have a coralife SS125 on my 100g and it gets the job done but I only paid $107 brand new. I couldn't pass up that price but for what it cost now I would have just gone with my original plans of small octopus recirc or turboflotor.