skimmer ?'s (could this work?)

Ok here's my problem I have a 125gal tank and a wet/dry that is equiped for a 90 to 100 gals. It's doing the job so far. I'm trying to add a Berlin Classic skimmer to my set up. I ordered the skimmer without knowing that my sump was't big enough for my Rio 3100(water return) and the pump that comes with the skimmer. So, I have it and I'm trying to make it work.
I just took out the sponge and the grate that seperates the sump from the rest of the wet/dry filter. Now the two can fit into the sump. All I have to do now is find a way to connect the pump to the skimmer.
My idea was to drill a whole into the wet/dry, then connect the two.
Would this work? Has anyone attempted this task? If so, what are some do's and do not's? Any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

broomer5

Depending on the dimensions of your wet/dry, length-width-height, and your room under your 125 tank stand, you could place the entire wet/dry in an empty tank - maybe a 30 long. Place the 30 long under your 125 as a good size sump.
Drill holes in the wet/dry end, at the level you would want to maintain the sump at normal operating conditions. Just let the water flow out these holes in to the 30 sump.
You'd have a lot of room for skimmer in the sump, and put your return pump in the 30 long tank, and add a little more water to your system capacity.
Just an idea ;)
Broomer