Skimmer

superdust

I just bought a Sea Clone 100 and placed it on the tank Friday night. My tank has been up for about eight months and I haven't had any type of filtering system except for DSB and live rock. I have a bad problem with algae and there was a skim on top of the water. After the skimmer ran about a day the skim disappeared, but the skimmer did not collect any junk. Tonight I decided to really crank the skimmer up...allowing lots of air into the tube (and of course filling the tank full of bubbles) but foam started collecting in the cup...brown and nasty like it should. So my question is should I turn it back down and be a little more patient and give it a few more days to break in or what?
Thanks for any input,

viper12775

yes turn it down alittle bit and let it go for a few days it will take some times up to a week to "break in" then it will start to produce skimmate

jonthefb

i agree with viper, a new skimmer is just like a new pair of shoes, you have to break them both in, but dont try to wear skimmers as shoes, theyre too expensive, and a bit awkward. mess with it this week, and next week it shoudl be all set up and ready to rock!
good luck
jon