Skimmers: Red Sea or CPR?

gmann1139

I'm looking a buying a used skimmer, and have to choose between a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe and a CPR Bakpak II. Cost is pretty much even, as is wear.
Tank is a 30g FOWLR.
Which is better?
Note, extra points for quiet. Tank is in living room.

flower

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/3223168
I'm looking a buying a used skimmer, and have to choose between a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe and a CPR Bakpak II. Cost is pretty much even, as is wear.
Tank is a 30g FOWLR.
Which is better?
Note, extra points for quiet. Tank is in living room.

All I ever owned was hang on the back...sump skimmers I believe are better.
Red sea is low line on just about everything, test kits and whatnot. I don't know about the skimmer....but if it is like the rest of the stuff they sell, it isn't worth it.
The CPR back pac is garbage, it hardly skims anything and is always clogging up...it is also huge and takes up too much space, I gave mine away.
I have nothing to offer on what to get because, so far, I have not found a decent skimmer...I paid $225.00 for the coralife and all it does is shoot micro bubbles all over.

DO NOT, DO NOT buy the red sea. I personally had it when I first got in the hobby. I had it on a 40 gallon tank that was way overstocked and over fed (being new to the hobby) and it never collected anything at all. Seriously I think I could have not cleaned the collection cup for three months and it would not have filled up!
I have no experience with the other skimmer in question.

ryant

I bought an unopen red sea berlin x2 turbo from a buddy of mine for a 100 bucks and it works awesome. Matter of fact i need to clean the cup, i take a shot of what i can pull out of it.

wfd1008

I've never owned a CPR, but I do have a Red Sea. I would never buy a anything from Red Sea again, mainly due to the fact that their customer service sucks!!! They were ignorant about their product and rude in the process. Now to the simmer: it works most of the time, but when you add anything (fresh water, chemicals, put your hand in the tank) it acts up. It's easy to adjust, but if you don't watch it and the collection cup fills, then everything goes back into your tank. I would spend a little more money and get something ALOT better.

ryant

Originally Posted by wfd1008
http:///forum/post/3223370
I've never owned a CPR, but I do have a Red Sea. I would never buy a anything from Red Sea again, mainly due to the fact that their customer service sucks!!! They were ignorant about their product and rude in the process. Now to the simmer: it works most of the time, but when you add anything (fresh water, chemicals, put your hand in the tank) it acts up. It's easy to adjust, but if you don't watch it and the collection cup fills, then everything goes back into your tank. I would spend a little more money and get something ALOT better.
I had a different experience with customer service. My impeller was making a funny noise so i emailed them and they sent me a brand new one free of charge since the skimmer was fairly new. I will agree on the skimmer being sensitive to anything thats added to the tank.

wfd1008

Originally Posted by RyanT
http:///forum/post/3223392
I had a different experience with customer service. My impeller was making a funny noise so i emailed them and they sent me a brand new one free of charge since the skimmer was fairly new. I will agree on the skimmer being sensitive to anything thats added to the tank.
Maybe I got the new hire?

aquaknight

If you don't have a sump, you'll never get a skimmer work well. The thing with skimmers is that in order to set them correctly they need a constant water level. Without some type of sump, you'll always have varying water levels in the tank. And the off chance you do have a sump, a real skimmer would skim circles around anything HOB.
That said, I use a modded Bak-Pak on my 55gal holding tank. I use a 4" wood airstone powered by a large air pump, and a different circulation pump. Works well enough, pretty wet I can fill the cup with mostly clear stuff with the bottom being pretty nasty in two days.

jaodissa

I have the CPR back back and I think it does what its suppose to lol. I empty it once a week and theres some nasty gunk in it. The sounds not to loud. It's there but not deafening. IDK I like it. I'd buy it again.

bluetang66

Put in a little extra money and get a octo. I don't own one but have heard good things about eshopps as well, either one would probably be better than those mentioned.

mr. limpid

I own a remora C and red sea (small). Red Sea work fine loud though, remora C has a adjustable collection cup, need to fine the correct level, also peaceful when replacing cup not break inner plastic chambers, I did and it just not the same, also the remora C is very tall allow clearance for cup and leg that sits inside of unit. This unit is much quieter that Red Sea.