skimmers?

fishman9168

How many people out here dont use skimmers at all? I met a guy this week that has some of the most beautiful reef tanks I've ever seen. He says he has been keeping corals for about 15 years and has not used a protien skimmer one time. What do you guys think and why?

nas19320

I had much the same experience as Squishy. After battleing with a Seaclone skimmer for too long I decided I would do away with it and just go skimmerless, not a good move. I had a difficult time with my nitrates and algae problems and couldn't seem to get my water crystal clear even with a low bio load. I purchased a Remora Pro skimmer within 2 months of going skimmer less and the effects were quickly noticeable. I would not go skimmerless again. It is a much more forgiving tank in the amount of nutrients I can add now that I have the skimmer. Not having a refuge also makes having a skimmer for me almost a must. My skimmer and RO/DI unit are the two best things I ever did for my tank.

drakken

I just got my first skimmer about a week ago. I can't believe the junk it pulls out of the tank. I'm very happy I got one.

xtremenemo

I think i can answer the seaclone thing......they are cheap and dont produce the right amount of air bubbles......i think.
But anyways I have a skimmer and i am going to go with a sump skimmer because hob skimmers suck. so much work to keep it working right with the evaporation. But anyways back to the subject...... this store that i go to has the largest reef store in michigan and i think in the mideast (from what i hear). it is very simple and ran out of his huge home. he has all undergraval filters and none of the reefs have skimmers because they say that it helps the corals grow, and they have grown corals for many years. Now you can not see in the water from the side you can only see it from the top because the tanks are made out of wood with pond liners. So i do not know how the water looks from the side but it looks clear from the top.
But this is what they do with nooooooo skimmers. And most guys who work there still have skimmers and from what mine has pulled out i think i will invest in a good one this time. HTH
JP

nm reef

There are numerous reefkeepers that have success without a skimmer...but for myreef I prefer to dump the gunk my euroreef collects...I can see absolutely no reason to shut the skimmer off and let that gunk remain in my water column!:thinking:

nas19320

Originally posted by fireo1o
nas, i was thinking of getting a seaclone..whats so bad about them?

Some people get good results from Sea clones, I was not one of them. It needed constant adjustment, was rather noisy and had a tendency to spit micro bubbles back into the tank.