Slight lean in tank

K

kylebrowning

I just finished setting up my tank on its new stand. Measuring from top of tank to the bottom of the tank where it stands on it stands theres less than 1/4 of inch difference between the front and the back.
I also used a handy dandy levely which told me the degrees varied from 0.6 to 0.9 between the front and the back.
I did not notice the lean until I filled it up with water.
Im currently in the process of draining my tank now I can do whatever I need to.
Im going to try and push it a little more forward on its stand as the way it current sits its not exactly centered.
My question is, aside from the aesthetics, does this have any effect on the tank.
I read that it can do some damage over time to the seems, so Im really ust curious how much lean is too much lean.
Its a 65 gallon tank, measuring 18.5 inches wide 25 inches tall by 36 inches long.
I have attache some pictures of the tank to give you an idea.

al&burke

Are the legs on the stand solid. If they are you can buy some levelers and it will make life much more easier. The ones that I have used all I did was drill a hole in the middle of all four legs to the diameter of the T-nut that comes with it - hammer the tee nut in and screw in the leveler. The ones that I have used have a plastic foot - try to buy the biggest you can - at least a 3/8" diameter or bigger.

K

kylebrowning

They are solid.
Theres 8-10 of them(legs). But AS Far as all my measures read for the stand, its level.

2quills

Agree, that would be a good solution. The levelers or adjustable feet is what I usually call them would work. You would have to take the tank back down ofcorse. I'd maybe put something down to protect the wood floors from scratches and putting indentations in the floor though.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/383605/slight-lean-in-tank#post_3356267
Are the legs on the stand solid. If they are you can buy some levelers and it will make life much more easier. The ones that I have used all I did was drill a hole in the middle of all four legs to the diameter of the T-nut that comes with it - hammer the tee nut in and screw in the leveler. The ones that I have used have a plastic foot - try to buy the biggest you can - at least a 3/8" diameter or bigger.

I have the same tiny lean on my 30g...I don't think that will do any harm, it's miniscule. I think past 1/4[sup]th[/sup] and you would have to add a piece of wood or something to make it even. On a leveler the bubble, as long as it is between the two center lines it is still level..dead center is perfect. I’m no expert...so let’s see what others say.

2quills

You should be able to use the heavy duty ones like these. They use them on pool tables and such, they should hold the weight no problem. Some of the larger 9" pool tables have large slate slabs that are extremely heavy so they should be able to handle the load.

al&burke

I am not talking about 1/4" threaded bolt - there are some very substantial levelers out there - I have used them on my stands without problems

flower

Guys...the fix is thicker than the tiny lean...he will be pushing the tank back the other way. I think his tank is level enough..I think you guys just like to fix stuff

al&burke

Well Flower I have always said if you don't start right don't start at all. You might be right - but why worry about it every time you see your unlevel tank.

2quills

A 1/4" lean in the stand is actually pretty significant on the water level in the tank. Lots of threads out there outlining problems with tanks failing over time with such a lean. Puts an uneaven amount of stress on the joints. Just thinking better save than sorry.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383605/slight-lean-in-tank#post_3356285
A 1/4" lean in the stand is actually pretty significant on the water level in the tank. Lots of threads out there outlining problems with tanks failing over time with such a lean. Puts an uneaven amount of stress on the joints. Just thinking better save than sorry.
Guys...it's LESS
then 1/4th...I agree on 1/4th. The reason I'm questioning is thatI have the same tiny lean..the bubble is till between the middle marks. It is level but not dead on.

2quills

Well if it's not that bad then he might be able to just stick a couple of wood shimms under the legs on the stand. One thing I wouldn't do is shimm the tank itself...that's a big no no. I always shoot for dead on just because of some of the stories I've heard. Age of the tank and quality of work with the silicone plays a big roll. Not all tanks are created equal and he has a tall tank so thats alot of pressure on the joints.

K

kylebrowning

Heres a front shot of the stand,
Ive managed to move it to a put where the water seems level, and all levelers show I am inside the center lines.

monsinour

shim the stand and not the tank. but attempt to make it as level as possible since this is just the start. Would suck if you found out much later.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383605/slight-lean-in-tank#post_3356290
Well if it's not that bad then he might be able to just stick a couple of wood shimms under the legs on the stand. One thing I wouldn't do is shimm the tank itself...that's a big no no. I always shoot for dead on just because of some of the stories I've heard. Age of the tank and quality of work with the silicone plays a big roll. Not all tanks are created equal and he has a tall tank so thats alot of pressure on the joints.

Ahhh nuts...He gave in...you guys win..I have to remove my
water from the tank and sump to shim my stupid stand....So be it. How true, better safe than sorry. Sometimes..LOL..I hate the voice of reason. I had hoped to just ignor that tiny flaw.