Small flood :(

meowzer

Sometimes I hate this hobby.....When I got home from work tonight.....first thing I do is walk back to fish room and check tanks.....skimmers....etc (habit)
well when I walked in front of the 225G.....my foot landed in wet carpet

Apparently sometime today my Cascade Canister filter decided to leak
I keep my canisters in a small tote (thankfully) JIC ....SO probably 2 gallons were in that.....Danny got out the shop vac.....sucked up what he could and now the fan is on it
I have the filter disconnected and in the kitchen.....I AM NOT messing with it tonight :(
I'm not worried about the top flow.....It is still good.....SOOOO I will get to it.....when I get to it HAHA......Maybe Friday.....+ I don't think I have another gasket.....+ I'm not sure I trust it anymore
SO WHO KNOWS......

meowzer

Really Seth, anything can leak at some point....skimmers.....sumps......you never know with this hobby

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395341/small-flood#post_3519514
Really Seth, anything can leak at some point....skimmers.....sumps......you never know with this hobby
Yup yup. But you had the right idea, keeping the canister in a tote. That's the kind of good advice that new hobbyists should be reading. (just make sure the canister doesn't get fully submerged, causing an electrical short...LOL....)

2quills

UTOH......Something happen Corey?
Not recently. It was about 2.5 years ago that one of my tanks leaked and I lost my prized cichlids. I had a beautiful breeding pair. :(

flower

I hate leaks...and I'm with you Meowzer, anything on a fish tank can leak. In 35 years, I have had one, just one canister seal leak. I have lost count on how many times my sump system has flooded in the last 3 years. So far it was always the fault of the lifter pump, and I was standing right there each time...right after re-starting the system. Every new tank from now on will be pre-drilled. I know most of my problem with the lifter pumps is because I shut the whole system down 2X a day to feed the seahorses, if it was set and left alone I think it would be okay.
Now back to you...Those tank gremlins really stay busy at your place don't they?

meowzer

Yes they do Flower.....If I did not have so much invested in the 225G....and if my husband had not spent all that time making me that light....I seriously would consider getting rid of it
YUP
That's what I said....and to tell you the truth.....IF I lived in a bigger area....I probably would have already :(