small motor questions..engineers?

bronco300

had a question if anyone knows how to work with small motors and sprockets,etc....try to set up a gadget so a motor can make an item go up and down on a platform..i think i have the setup that would work, but have no idea what kind of motors youd use, or just some hobby type motor...I obviously dont want anything large and noisey as it'll be in the house....any help appreciated

salty blues

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2816943
had a question if anyone knows how to work with small motors and sprockets,etc....try to set up a gadget so a motor can make an item go up and down on a platform..i think i have the setup that would work, but have no idea what kind of motors youd use, or just some hobby type motor...I obviously dont want anything large and noisey as it'll be in the house....any help appreciated
The rotation of a small DC(battery-powered)motor can easily be reversed by reversing the current flow to the motor. Obviously the size of the motor would depend on the load being moved and the gears, sprocket size, etc.
hth

bronco300

how do you hook the motor up to the sprockets though...all of the motors look like they just have smooth spindles..does this little drawing make sense..surely I'd be able to make that up pretty easily right?