Small silver fish like LookDowns?

dominican

Does anyone know of cool silver fish like Lookdowns, but that are smaller and reefsafe? Really I'm just looking for small to medium sized shiny silver fish for my 150. Any suggestions? My LFS has two big honkin lookdowns. They're rediculously awesome, but they're monsters. I haven't seen any shimmery fish in the saltwater trade. Wassup with that??? :thinking:

jacknjill

cardinals maybe? i dont really know
saltwater fish dont need to "shine," their bright colors make up for that! lol j/k

jacknjill

oh yeah i forgot about chromis. i have 2 green ones and they kinda shimmer, but not to the degree of a lookdown

dominican

Yeah, but you know what I mean though right? Like Lookdowns? But medium or small size. Even if they were small. Hmmm....
I've got an Emperor, Potters Angel, YT, Purple Pseudo, threadfin butterfly, hippo, cleaner wrasse, 1 damsel, maroon clown. It would even be cool to have 5 or 10 little silver fish that school...

crimzy

Originally Posted by NEreef
aren't scats freshwater?
No, they can live in brackish or salt water.

dominican

Scats look like scat. heheh.. Besides, they're brackish only... I got a 150 full marine.
Little silver marine fish exist, though right? Why wouldn't they be cool for the hobby?

N

nereef

are there FW scats then? because i've seen scats that look very similar, if not the same, in FW tanks.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Dominican
Scats look like scat. heheh.. Besides, they're brackish only... I got a 150 full marine.
Little silver marine fish exist, though right? Why wouldn't they be cool for the hobby?
Not true... they can live in fresh, brackish or marine. Actually Unleashed has at least one in her 300 gallon shark tank. Check this out for more info: http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary...ry.php?id=4698

whitey

Why dont ya just set up a 55 FW and get a school of Silver Dollars.
If you havent seen anything you like, it probably doesnt exist for the home aquarium.

coachklm

Originally Posted by Dominican

I kept a scat full marine salt water for about a year till i moved then i traded it in

darth tang

I have two in my tank. They are great scavengers and they do the job of a clean up crew with aspects to leftover food. Great fish and they do shimmer.
Besides, I believe you are almost close to maxed out. 5-10 fish, even little would probably be detrimental to your eco system. Just my opinion however.

teen

i think its called a moon fish, pretty much the same as a look down. idk if you can by them in stores though, i have them in a fish book but i dont know where that book is right now. ill try and find a picture and more info
edit: type in moon fish in google, there mostly used for eating, there max size is 2 feet so there too big for most aquariums. they look pretty much like a look down but with out the long fins at the bottom of the juveniles, and they dont have as steep a jaw.
edit edit: these fish actually get to about six to eight feet high, and 5 to 6 feet long. :happyfish

reefiness

mabye a porkfish they get to be 1 ft
and if you get a 300 gallon then you can get pilot fish which get 3ft