Smaller Clam wanted

mtalica

I was wondering if there are any smaller size clams that I can get for my reef aquarium. I have a 56 gal column style tank and with all my LR I don't have a lot of room on the bottom but would really like to get a clam. anything up to 8" or 10" would probably be fine but most of the clams I have read about get 12" + and that may be a bit much for my tank. Any info on this would be great.
Thanks

meowzer

If you want a clam for the bottom, look into a derasa....it would take a really long time for it to grow to max size anyway
How old is your tank? and what type of lighting do you have?

mtalica

My tank is about 5 months old and I have T5 lighting right now. Not looking to get a clam right away, just getting all my future plans laid out.

blackjacktang

i have always heard a smalle clam is harder to keep then a big one. But that applys for clams about 2".
Not sure about clams under T5, i bet meowzer knows, she teaches me everything

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjacktang http:///forum/thread/383193/smaller-clam-wanted#post_3350137
i have always heard a smalle clam is harder to keep then a big one. But that applys for clams about 2".
Not sure about clams under T5, i bet meowzer knows, she teaches me everything
LOL...thanks
it is usually best to get a clam at least 3"......IMO a 3" clam will take a long time to outgrow your tank Mtalica
As far as T5 lighting I had a Derasa under T5's and currently have a small (yup under 3") gold maxima in my 29G under T5's and it is doing excellent

mtalica

Awesome. Thanks all for the input. Really appreciate it. You read sooo many places about "this or that can only survive under MH lighting." Its really good to hear from people who have actual experience in the things I am trying to accomplish instead of just regurgitating someone else's (generally biased) opinions.

spanko

mtalica, IMO clams are over-rated. Want something really nice get a snapper, or even a sweetlips!

spanko

spanko

and with that, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
(Sorry to the OP, we get carried away sometimes. Or perhaps we should be, IDK!)

btldreef

I'll make an attempt to get it back on track, LOL.
Clams only grow 1" per year under perfect conditions, so if you were to buy a 3" clam, you'd be fine for quite some time. Yes, clams can grow under T5's, even PC's if it's done correctly, but the general rule is high lighting (metal halides) for best results. A lot depends on what type of clam you want. Derasa's require slightly less lighting than a Maxima will. Derasa's also like the sand, while maxima's prefer rockwork (although they can go in the sand if they're attached to rock).

meowzer

LOL...SEE...Just exactly what I said concerning the growth

BTLD use to raise clams.....so IMO she is a good go to person for this (as well as other things) HAHA

btldreef

I think I might start again once I'm settled in the new house. I miss it, as time consuming as it was, I really miss it (and the money).